Explore Our Master of Arts in Teaching Program
Taking on the responsibility of molding young minds and future generations is no small feat. It requires preparing for all of the challenges the classroom environment can bring. Even though you may be an expert in math or science, becoming an effective educator requires more than extensive knowledge of a subject. The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) online program at Stevenson University Online will prepare adult learners for the classroom through a combination of online instruction and full-time classroom teaching experience. The result is a MAT degree that will open new career opportunities in the world of education, placing you in a position to lead the young learners of tomorrow on their journey to greater knowledge.
A Complete Education with Stevenson University’s MAT Degree Online
Stevenson University Online’s Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program is designed for math and science baccalaureate degree graduates who possess a desire to teach and a passion for inspiring a new generation of learners. Graduates of our online MAT program will meet all Maryland initial certification requirements for teaching middle or high school levels (7-12) in one of six math or science content areas. Upon graduation, professionals will be well-versed in the integrative and collaborative inquiry-based practices of STEM teaching and learning.
Stevenson University Online offers the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) online courses as a cohort program in which students start in either the fall or spring semesters. They follow the same sequential course track to graduate as a group, working together as they learn. The courses in this Master of Arts in Teaching online program are offered in 8-week sessions and concentrate on areas including STEM curriculum principles, special education, literary strategies, and the psychology and development of adolescents.Stevenson University’s educator preparation programs are approved by Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE).
Choosing the right online MAT program is an important investment in your future.
- Convenient, online sessions for working adults
- Personalized attention and accomplished faculty with extensive, real-world classroom experience
- A career-focused program that provides up-to-date techniques in instruction and student assessment for STEM teaching and learning.
- Accessible and affordable with financial aid options
- Completed online application
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree in a science or math discipline or related field from a regionally accredited institution
- Official college transcripts from all previous academic work. If the transcripts are from an institution located outside of the United States, students must submit an official course-by-course transcript evaluation from an organization that is a current member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A member list is available on the NACES website.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in past academic work
- Analysis of transcripts to determine if all required content coursework has been met to satisfy the field of licensure (Biology, Chemistry, Earth/Space Science, Physical Science, Physics, or Mathematics) requirements.
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- Personal statement
Prior to the Master of Arts in Teaching Internship
- Completion of any additional undergraduate-level content coursework necessary to meet the 30-credit hour course requirements in the field of licensure
- Criminal background check and fingerprinting
- Passing score on PRAXIS® II Subject Assessment for the intended area of certification (biology, chemistry, or mathematics)
Master of Arts in Teaching Online Degree Requirements
- 100-day teaching internship that takes places across two semesters, one semester being a full-time teaching experience
- Successful portfolio review documenting mastery of core teacher standards
- Demonstrated competency on the Maryland Teacher Technology Standards and Maryland STEM Standards of Practice
- Qualifying scores according to MSDE certification criteria.
- Original action research project on a topic related to instructional practice
- Minimum 3.00 GPA
|Tuition Rate||Cost Per Course (3-Credits)|
- MAT graduate students may be eligible for some State of Maryland grant and scholarship programs, including the Teaching Fellows for Maryland Scholarship.
- Stevenson University Online has simplified the cost of your online MAT program by eliminating all fees.
Online MAT Program Content Areas
- Earth/Space Science
- Physical Science
Careers for MAT Graduates
Candidates who successfully complete our master’s in teaching online program, are eligible for a teaching certificate in Maryland and in states with reciprocal agreements with the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) in the areas of:
- Secondary Biology
- Earth/Space Science
- Physical Science
Some of the Courses You Could Take
- ED 510 Psychology and Development of Adolescents
- ED 605 STEM Curriculum Principles and Practice
- ED 615 Principles of Assessment
- ED 630 Principles of Special Education
- ED 690 Issues in STEM Education
Education Certificate Options
Stevenson offers three distinct, fully-online graduate certificate programs for those interested in advancing their careers in either formal or non-formal education settings. Students can select from certificate options in:
- Community-Based Education and Leadership (15 credit hours)
- Literacy Education (15 credit hours)
- Secondary STEM Teaching and Learning (18 credit hours)