Skip Navigation


  • Veteran salutes flag

    Veteran Tuesdays

    If you are considering transferring to SU, we offer special information sessions to potential Veteran students and their families.
    Register for a Veteran Tuesday

If you are a veteran, current active duty, reserve or a dependent and are interested in applying to Stevenson University please contact:

Calib Wininger, School Certifying Official

  • What is the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

    The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their benefits to dependents.

    Through the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Veterans Affairs will pay a percentage of a student's net cost for tuition and fees (after the application of any waiver, scholarship, aid, or assistance) to Stevenson, and makes housing and other payments directly to students. Stevenson will receive a percentage, as determined by the length of active duty service, up to $24,476.79 per academic year which is the maximum rate the VA will pay to any private college or university for 2019-20. 

    In addition a student may also be directly paid:

    • A monthly housing allowance (MHA) equal to the basic allowance for housing (BAH) amount payable to an E-5 with dependents, in same zip code as your school.*
    • A yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000, paid proportionately based on enrollment.

    *The MHA is paid proportionately based on your enrollment (this means the payments are prorated to the semester dates, so for this spring MHA is paid from January 17 - May 6). If you are attending school at the half time or less rate, or are on active duty or the spouse of an active duty member receiving transferred benefits, you will not receive any MHA. If you are enrolled solely in distance, learning (online classes) you will receive a housing allowance equal to half the national average.

    For more information about the Post-9/11 GI Bill, visit the VA website.

  • Yellow Ribbon Program

    Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active-duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program (child transferees of active duty service-members may be eligible if the service-member is qualified at the 100 percent rate).

    Applying for the Post-9/11 GI Bill

    Students should submit their application online through the VA, using the VA website Education Benefits Application Page.

    The VA will determine eligibility and will send the student a letter which will indicate their percentage of benefits (40-100% based on length of service), as well as the amount of time awarded.

    Learn more and apply

    For information on how to apply to transfer benefits to dependents, visit the GI Bill website. 

    Active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level.

  • Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill (Active-Duty)

    Provides education benefits to Veterans and Service members who have at least two years of active duty. Veterans applying for the first time will need the Application (VA Form 22-1990) and a copy of their DD-214 (Certificate of Discharge).

  • Chapter 31, Disabled Veteran’s Vocational Rehabilitation

    Program students initiate their benefits by coordinating with the County Veterans Service Office and the VA. The VA sends the school an Authorization (VA Form 28-1905) for each eligible Disabled Veteran. Stevenson University then provides enrollment certification to the VA for each term.

  • Chapter 35, Survivor/Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program

    Students initiate their benefits by coordinating with their County Veterans Service Office and UW-GB. The application (VA Form 22-5490) is available from your local County Veteran's Service office, or it may be printed from the VA web-site. Give the required documents described above to the Stevenson Veteran’s Certifying Official who will then certify your enrollment and forward to the Veterans Administration Regional Office.

  • Chapter 1606, Selected Reserve GI Bill (Reserve and Guard)/Montgomery GI Bill- SR
    Students will need to get a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE, DD Form 2384) from their unit and then complete the Application (VA Form 22-1990).  Include a copy of the Kicker, if eligible. Give the required documents described above to the Stevenson Veteran’s Certifying Official who will then certify your enrollment and forward it to the VA Regional Office.
  • Fry Scholarship

    The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship provides Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level.

  • Tuition Assistance (TA)

    Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible Service members. TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning and is part of an approved academic degree or certificate program. Please notify the Student Accounts Office of your approved TA documentation.

  • Maryland National Guard Tuition Waiver Program

    A 15% State Tuition Waiver is available for Soldiers and Airmen attending Stevenson University. In order to apply, Soldiers and Airmen complete the State Tuition Waiver form, have their Unit Commander sign the letter. To receive the wavier, present the approved tuition wavier upon registration to the Student Accounts Office along with a copy valid military ID. 

  • Campus Resources

    Adult Undergraduate Program and Graduate and Professional Studies

    William Wellein, Senior Enrollment Counselor (Graduate and Professional Studies)


    Office of Career Services

    Cary Smedley, Director Career Services Operations

    Veteran Benefits and Financial Aid

    VA Educational Benefits                 

    Sarah Krieger, Stevenson University’s VA Certifying Official        

    Financial Aid

    Melanie Mason, Associate Director Financial Aid



If you are a current active duty member please be sure to speak to your Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within your military service prior to enrolling. 


Request Info