Help improve the world around you.
Service Scholars is a comprehensive initiative that offers participants the opportunity to extend their civic engagement in the community, reflect upon possibilities for personal and social change, as well as develop the necessary skills to succeed in the classroom and, eventually, in the workforce. The inaugural class of Service Scholars enrolled in fall 2016.
In order to be considered for the Service Scholars Program and $2,000 annual Service Scholarship, students must do the following:
- Demonstrate an exceptional commitment to service as an incoming freshman
- Have a minimum GPA of a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or an 80 on a 100-point scale
- Have a minimum score of 1100 on the new two-section, or a 22 ACT composite score
- Apply to Stevenson by the January 15 Specialty Scholarship deadline and be admitted to the University. Stevenson’s application for admissions will be available on August 1.
- Complete the Application for Service and Leadership Scholars Programs by January 15.
- Complete a Specialty Scholarship Interview by February 15. Stevenson University Service Scholars applications will also be considered for the Founders’ Scholarship when interviewing. There is no separate application for the Founders’ Scholarship. Students selected for the Stevenson University Service Scholars will also receive the $2,000 Founders’ Scholarship in addition to the $2,000 Service Scholarship for a total of $4,000 in scholarship funding on top of any previously awarded SU Merit-Based Scholarship. Students not selected for the Stevenson University Service Scholars may be awarded a Founders’ Scholarship of $2,000 on its own.
Students who meet all of the above application requirements will be notified whether or not they have been selected for Stevenson University Service Scholars by Friday, March 1.
Benefits of the program include:
- $2,000 annual Service Scholarship for four consecutive years of full-time study at the University. Recipients also receive the $2,000 annual Founders' Scholarship, which is also renewable for four years, for a total additional annual award of $4,000 on top of any SU Merit-Based Scholarship.
- Housing placement in Service Scholars living-learning community
- Priority registration for service-learning courses
- A supportive community of peers and mentors, as well as personal consultations with administrative coordinator(s)
- Gain experience for internships, interviews, and post-graduation professional opportunities
- Tangible leadership and service experience on- and off-campus
- Opportunities to learn about the Owings Mills and Baltimore communities
- Expansion of professional networks
- Eligibility for the President of the United States’ Volunteer Service Award
In order to remain a Service Scholar once accepted to the program, students must:
- Enroll as a full-time student
- Maintain the minimum required GPA (2.5 at the end of year one, 2.6 at the end of year two, 2.7 at the end of year three, and 2.8 at the end of year four).
- Attend an annual retreat and monthly meetings/reflection sessions
- Complete a minimum of 100 hours of service per academic year (minimum 50 hours per semester), documented on monthly time sheets and submitted each semester by the required deadline
- Enroll in a total of 3 service-learning courses, including the introductory course – Service-Learning 101: Foundations of Service-Learning
ScholarshipsService Scholars typically receive the Deans’ or Trustees’ merit scholarship. In addition, Service Scholars are awarded a Service Scholarship and the Founders’ Scholarship, which recognizes a student’s potential to be an active, engaged member of the Stevenson Community. All scholarships are renewable for four years. For more information, please see the Scholarship & Grants page.
Have a Question?
For questions about the applying to Service Scholars, please contact your admissions counselor.
For questions about expectations and benefits within the program, please contact Morgan Somerville, Director of Student Engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-352-4445.