Michelle Ivey Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, University of California, Irvine (2002)
- M.S., Physical Chemistry, University of California, Irvine (1997)
- B.S., Chemistry, Harvey Mudd College (1995)
- Stevenson University Professor of Chemistry 2017-present Associate Professor of Chemistry 2013-2017
- Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College, Florida Atlantic University Assistant Professor of Chemistry 2005-2013
- Harvey Mudd College Visiting Assistant Professor 2004-2005
- California State University, Los Angeles Post-Doctoral Researcher 2002-2005
My research uses ion chromatography to probe research questions of environmental interest, such as analysis of food, fluoride in the environment, and analysis of local water systems. One current project is developing methods for quantifying ions in the Chesapeake Bay.
Another project I am working on is incorporating computational chemistry into the undergraduate chemistry curriculum. Students working with me help develop the activities before they are implemented in our classes, as well as optimize the activities so that they can be performed in a 3 hour lab period.
- M.M. Ivey, N.H. Robinson*, M.K. Smith, J.L. Sonnenberg. Computational Chemistry Experiments for a General Chemistry Course. Accepted for publication in Chemical Educator (2016)
- N.J. Quintyne, M.M. Ivey. Discussion, Implementation, Presentation: A standalone course for high ability undergraduate students. Chemical Educator, 17, 179-183 (2012).
- J.S. Roberts*, M.M. Ivey. Ion Chromatography Detection of Nitrite and Nitrate in Cured Meat: An Undergraduate Analytical or Instrumental Methods Laboratory Exercise. Chemical Educator, 16, 314-318 (2011).
- J.E. Lefler*, M.M. Ivey. Ion Chromatography Detection of Fluoride in Calcium Carbonate. J. Chromatogr. Sci., 49, 582-588 (2011).
- H. Pech, M. Vazquez*, J. Van Buren*, L. Shi, M.M. Ivey, T. Salmassi, M.A. Pasek, and K.L. Foster. Elucidating the Redox Cycle of Environmental Phosphorus Using Ion Chromatography. J. Chromatogr. Sci., 49, 573-581 (2011).
- M.M. Ivey. What’s My pH? An Acid-Base Flowchart for General Chemistry. Chemical Educator, 15, 461-463 (2010).
- M.M. Ivey and E.T. Smith. Qualitative Analysis of Several Amino Acids by COSY and DEPT using Low Field NMR: An Undergraduate Biochemistry or Instrumental Methods Laboratory Exercise. Chemical Educator, 13, 308-308 (2008).
- M.M. Ivey and J.C. Hemminger. Simultaneous detection of H2+ with larger ions using Fourier transform mass spectrometry. Anal. Chem., 80, 5044-5050 (2008).
- M.M. Ivey and E.T. Smith. Electrochemical Polishing of Silverware: A Demonstration of Voltaic and Galvanic Cells. J. Chem. Educ., 85, 68-71 (2008).
- M.M. Ivey and K.L. Foster. Detection of Phosphorus Oxyanions in Synthetic Geothermal Water Using Ion Chromatography – Mass Spectrometry Techniques. J. Chromatogr. A, 1098, 95-103 (2005).
- M.M. Ivey and K.L. Foster. Mass Spectrometer Characterization of Halogen Gases in Air at Atmospheric Pressure. Anal. Chem., 77, 1467-1472 (2005).
- M.M. McDowell*, M.M. Ivey, M.E. Lee*, V.V.V.D. Firpo*, T.M. Salmassi, C.S. Khachikian, and K.L. Foster. Detection of Hypophosphite, Phosphite, and Orthophosphate in Natural Geothermal Water by Ion Chromatography. J. Chromatogr. A, 1039, 105-111 (2004).
- K.A. Layman, M.M. Ivey, and J.C. Hemminger. Pyridine Adsorption and Acid/Base Complex Formation on Ultrathin Films of g-Al2O3 on NiAl(100). J. Phys. Chem. B, 107, 8538-8546 (2003).
- M.M. Ivey, K.A. Layman, A. Avoyan, H.C. Allen, and J.C. Hemminger. Characterization of Ultra Thin Films of g-Al2O3 and the Chemistry of 1,3-Butadiene on NiAl(001) and g-Al2O3. J. Phys. Chem. B, 107, 6391-6400 (2003).
- M.M. Ivey, H.C. Allen, A. Avoyan, K.A. Martin, and J.C. Hemminger. Dimerization of 1,3 Butadiene on Highly Characterized Hydroxylated Surfaces of Ultrathin Films of g-Al2O3. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 120, 10980-10981 (1998).
- M.H. Dishner, M.M. Ivey, S. Gorer, J.C. Hemminger, and F.J. Feher. Preparation of gold thin films by epitaxial growth on mica and the effect of flame annealing. J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A, 16, 3295-3300 (1998).
* Undergraduate Co-Author
- CHEM 111: Introduction to Chemistry
- CHEM 114: General Chemistry I with Problem Solving
- CHEM 115: General Chemistry I
- CHEM 115L: General Chemistry I Lab
- CHEM 115S: General Chemistry I SoLVE
- CHEM 116: General Chemistry II
- CHEM 116L: General Chemistry II Lab
- CHEM 203: Environmental Chemistry
- CHEM 213: Digital Chemical Information Literacy
- CHEM 346L: Integrative Lab
- CHEM 365: Independent Laboratory Research Chemistry
- CHEM 430: Physical Chemistry
- CHEM 431: Physical Chemistry I: Quantum Mechanics and Spectroscopy
- CHEM 432: Physical Chemistry II: Thermodynamics and Kinetics
- FYS 100: First Year Seminar
- SCI 100: School of the Sciences New Student Seminar
DISCLAIMER: The content of this faculty profile page was created, authored, and published by the identified faculty member. Stevenson University (SU) makes absolutely no guarantee as to the currency, accuracy, or quality of information published. The views and opinions expressed on this page or any links made available are strictly those of the author and do not necessarily state or reflect those of SU. The content of this profile page has not been reviewed or approved by Stevenson University.