Charisse F. Wernecke Ph.D., CPA (inactive)
- BA, Loyola University Maryland, Accounting, charter member Lambda Alpha Chi
- MAS, Johns Hopkins University, School of Professional Studies in Business and Education
- PhD, Morgan State University, School of Graduate Studies, Educational Leadership and Policy in Higher Education
Faculty, Stevenson University 2011 to present
President, Institute of Notre Dame:
Transformation to achieve sustainability:
- Spearheaded an inclusive strategic planning process that articulated the vision, goals, and implementation steps to promote future prosperity
- Increased revenues through higher enrollment, fund raising, improved endowment fund investing
- Balanced the School’s operating budget for the first time in years
- Enriched the 160-year old building’s appearance to showcase its history and character
- Initiated a one-to-one student Tablet-PC program to enhance instruction and engage students
- Launched a Bio-Medical Sciences program as part of the national STEM initiative
- Developed partnerships with local institutions by establishing an exchange program for college credits with a university and two full nursing scholarships with a local hospital
- Increased funding for and scheduling of faculty development
Revenue generation through increased enrollment and fundraising:
- Increased financial aid and technology through grants and gifts
- Cultivated new donors by establishing Grandparents Day, the Scholarship Luncheon, the Corporate Open House, and by hosting receptions at the President’s Home
- Re-engaged alumnae through e-newsletters, school magazines, and support of their programs
- Improved visibility through personal visits, branding, and creative marketing
Chief Financial Office, Boys’ Latin School:
- Served as the right-hand to four headmasters and on Board of Trustee committees for finance, human resources, budgeting, risk management, financial aid, technology, endowment, and strategic planning
- Led the production of three strategic plans: solicited input from constituents, analyzed data, authored workshop executive overview books, and created detailed implementation plans
- Designed and implemented a school-wide technology plan for academic enrichment and administrative efficiency
- Advocated for the creation of the academic dean position, subsequently approved, which allowed for comprehensive management of curriculum from kindergarten through 12th grade
- Authored vital sections of the school’s ten-year accreditation for the Association of Independent Maryland Schools [AIMS] Self Study, Action Plans, and School-wide Goals
Financial management and human resources:
- Eliminated operating losses of the school and associated line of credit debt by implementing effective measures for fiscal responsibility and financial budgeting
- Grew the endowment by funding depreciation, selecting an investment advisor, and establishing investment and spending policies
- Negotiated with MHHEFA for low-interest state bonds to fund construction and re-finance debt
- Increased faculty compensation after benchmarking salaries at peer schools; improved all benefits
- Authored a comprehensive employee policy manual
Chief Financial Office, Lion Brothers Company
- Key member of the management team of this mid-sized manufacturing company responsible for finance, personnel, information systems, customer service, and pricing; served as chief liaison for the joint venture China facility (Lion Redcliffe)
- Played an integral role in the strategic planning process to position the company as a high quality, low cost produce
- Spearheaded the contract renewal with the International Ladies Garment Workers’ Union (ILGWU), provided rationale for increases in compensation
- Co-authored, developed, and implemented a business plan for manufacturing that supported an effective inmate rehabilitation plan
Effective development of sales and marketing strategies
- Analyzed profitability by market segment to identify niches on which to focus
- Created and utilized a pricing model to maximize profits based upon direct costs, order volume, offshore possibilities and customer history
- Developed a sales incentive program based upon growth and profitability
Finance, accounting, budgeting, treasury, forecasting, cash management, bank borrowing, physical inventory, annual audit, and monthly financial statements
- Developed and implemented monthly financial statements including ratio analysis, inventory turnover, cost of goods sold details with an executive narrative summary
- Created and implemented an annual budget by cost center for Board approval
- Negotiated a bank-financing package structured with an operating line of credit and a term loan facility as well as lease negotiations for equipment acquisitions
- Formulated a cash management program designed to minimize operating debt costs by focusing upon collection procedures and reduced inventory levels
Audit Manager, Ernst & Young
- Sustainable Strategies for Small, Private Institutions of Higher Education: A Review of the Literature.
- Improving Academic Performance of Accounting Students: An Action Research Project.
- Strategic Planning in Education: An Educational Policy Project.
- Balancing the Budget: How 3 Organizations Manage the Process: A Collaborative Fiscal Policy Project, 2012.
- How One Small, Private, Non-profit University Prospered During and After the Great Recession: An Ethnographic Case Study (dissertation)
- East Coast Colleges Social Science Association Conference (ECCSSA). Title, Utilizing Educational Alchemy to Guide the Student from the Classroom to the Boardroom, co-presenter
- Mid-Atlantic World History Association Conference (MAWHA). Title, Polishing the Facets: Aspects of Micro-History that Provide Insights into Societal Change, a group presentation
- ACC 140 Financial Accounting
- ACC 141 Managerial Accounting
- ACC 301 Intermediate Accounting III
- ACC 400 Auditing and Attestation
- ACC 430 Financial Modeling and Analysis
- ACC 490 Senior Seminar
- Moderator of the Accounting Association, which hosts the Annual Accounting Career Fair, the main recruiting event for all accounting majors.
- Member of the Academic Advisory Committee (AAC) of the Faculty Counsel.
- Served on the Diversity and Inclusion Committee and the Writing Intensive Committee.
- Designed and implemented Auditing and Attestation as a Writing Intensive course, meeting the University’s requirements for writing and research.
- Enhanced students’ abilities to use Excel spreadsheets by adding financial statement analysis projects using Excel in multiple accounting courses.
- Participated in many BSOBL Poster and Student Showcase sessions with my students.
- Developed and launched the new course, Financial Modeling and Analysis; topics include the framework for operating budgets, capital investments, debt and equity financing, and cash flow forecasting.
- Launched the new course, required for accreditation, Senior Seminar; topics include operating projections, financial income versus cash flows, ethics, and capital budgeting decisions.
- Established Stevenson University as a field test site for the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) auditing section of the CPA exam.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/charisse-f-wernecke-ph-d-cpa-41942816/
- Colleges Should Take an Entrepreneurial Approach to Higher Education: https://www.forbes.com/sites/fotschcase/2016/02/02/the-open-book-college/?sh=535802bf5b1d
- IND Appoints New President: https://www.archbalt.org/ind-appoints-new-president/
- IND Annual Magazine with President’s Letter: https://issuu.com/menefeecreative/docs/ind_onyx-ar_mag_winter09
DISCLAIMER: The content of this faculty profile page was created, authored, and published by the identified faculty member. Stevenson University (SU) makes absolutely no guarantee as to the currency, accuracy, or quality of information published. The views and opinions expressed on this page or any links made available are strictly those of the author and do not necessarily state or reflect those of SU. The content of this profile page has not been reviewed or approved by Stevenson University.