Ryan Schurtz Ph.D.
- Ph.D., University of Kentucky (2011)
- M.A., Towson University (2006) B.S., Towson University (2003)
Stevenson University 2011 – Present
- Love and relationships
- Social comparisons
- Social emotions
- Hoogland, C.E., Schurtz, D. R., Cooper, C.M., Combs, D. J. Y., Brown, E. G., & Smith, R. H. (2015). The joy of pain and the pain of joy: In-group identification predicts schadenfreude and glucksmertz following rival groups’ fortunes. Motivation and Emotion, 39, 260-281.
- Kashden, T. B., DeWall, C. N., Schurtz, D. R., Deckman, T., Lykins, E. L. B., Evans, D., McKenzie, J. Segerstrom, S. C., Gailliot, M. T., & Brown, K. W. (2014). More than words: Contemplating death enhances positive emotional word use. Personality and Individual Differences, 71, 171-175.
- Kashden, T. B., DeWall, C. N., Masten, C. L., Pond, R. S., Powell, C., Combs, D., Schurtz, D. R., & Farmer, A. S. (2014). Who is most vulnerable to social rejection? The toxic combination of low self-esteem and lack of negative emotion differentiation on neural responses to rejection. PLoS ONE 9(3), 1-9.
- Schurtz, D. R., Combs, D. J. Y., Hoogland, C., & Smith, R. H. (2014). Schadenfreude in Sports and Politics: A Social Identity Perspective. In W. W. Van Dijk and J. W. Ouwerkerk. (Ed.) Schadenfreude: Understanding Pleasure at the Misfortune of Others. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Webster, M., Hoogland, C., Schurtz, D. R., & Smith, R.H. (2014). Excessive image concern and willingness to incur personal cost in the experience and perception of vanity. Self and Identity, 13, 613-637.
- Preuss, G. S., Schurtz, D. R., Powell, C., Combs, D., & Smith, R. H. (2013). Connecting social psychology to the experience of others through a nonfiction book analysis: New wine in an old bottle. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 13(2), 72-83.
- Buckingham, J. T., Zell, E., & Schurtz, D. R. (2012). Social comparison seeking: General comparison curtails local comparison. Current Research in Social Psychology, 20(5), 1-9.
- DeWall, C. N., Masten, C. L., Powell, C., Combs, D., Schurtz, D. R., & Eisenberger, N. I. (2012). Does the pain of rejection depend on attachment style? An fMRI study. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 7, 184-192.
- Schurtz, D. R., Combs, D. J. Y., Powell, C. A. J., Smith, R. H., & Kim, S. H. (2011). Exploring the social aspects of goose bumps and their role in awe and envy. Motivation and Emotion, 36(2), 205-217.
- DeWall, C. N., Silvia, P. J., Schurtz, D. R., & McKenzie, J. (2011). Taste sensitivity and aesthetic preferences: Is taste a metaphor? Empirical Studies of the Arts, 29, 171-189.
- Schurtz, D.R., Cerel, J., & Rogers, P. (2010). Myths and Facts about Suicide from Individuals Involved in Suicide Prevention. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior, 40 (4), 346-352.
- DeWall C. N., MacDonald, G., Webster, G. D., Masten, C., Baumeister, R. F., Powell, C., Combs, D., Schurtz, D. R., Stillman, T. F., Tice, D. M., & Eisenberger, N. I. (2010). Acetaminophen reduces social pain: Behavioral and neural evidence. Psychological Science, 21, 931-937.
- Twenge, J.M., Gentile, B., DeWall, C.N., Ma, D.S., Lacefield, K., & Schurtz, D. R. (2010). Birth cohort increases in psychopathology among young Americans, 1938-2007: A cross-temporal meta-analysis of the MMPI. Clinical Psychology Review, 30, 145-154.
- DeWall, C. N., Baumeister, R. F., Schurtz, D. R., & Gailliot, M. (2010). Acting on limited resources: Self-regulatory depletion and personality. In R. Hoyle (Ed.) The Handbook of Self-Regulation and Personality. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
- Smith, R. H. & Schurtz, D. R. (2010). Resentment. In H. Pasler (Ed.) Encyclopedia of the Mind, 1st edition. New York: Sage.
- Combs, D. J. Y., Powell, C. A. J., Schurtz, D. R., & Smith, R. H. (2009). Politics and schadenfreude: The secretly happy thing about a poor economy and death. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 45(1), 635-646.
- Smith, R. H., Powell, C. A. J., Combs, D. J. Y., & Schurtz, D. R. (2009). Exploring the when and where of schadenfreude. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 3(4), 530-546.
- Powell, C. A. J., Smith, R. H., & Schurtz, D. R. (2008). Schadenfreude caused by an envied person’s pain. In R.H. Smith (Ed.), Envy: Theory and Research. New York: Oxford University Press.
- POPULAR PRESS PUBLICATIONS
- D. R. Schurtz (2016, March 31). Keeping the spark alive in your relationship. The Baltimore Sun.
- D. R. Schurtz (2015, December 16). Your name might bring out the bias in others. The Baltimore Sun.
- Butt, C., & Schurtz, D. R. (2015, July 20). Love without sex. The Baltimore Sun.
- Schurtz, D. R. (2015, March 26). Supergirl power. The Baltimore Sun.
- Schurtz, D. R. (2014, December 11). To beard or not to beard. The Baltimore Sun.
- Social Psychology
- Romantic Love
- Aggression, Violence, and Murder
- Research Courses
DISCLAIMER: The content of this faculty profile page was created, authored, and published by the identified faculty member. Stevenson University (SU) makes absolutely no guarantee as to the currency, accuracy, or quality of information published. The views and opinions expressed on this page or any links made available are strictly those of the author and do not necessarily state or reflect those of SU. The content of this profile page has not been reviewed or approved by Stevenson University.