Leadership Through Action Not Position.
Leadership Scholars is a comprehensive initiative that offers participants the opportunity to engage in leadership education through personal exploration, community engagement, and collaborative problem solving. Scholars will develop effective and ethical leadership skills that prepare them to make a positive difference on campus and in the larger global community. The inaugural class of Leadership Scholars will enroll in fall 2017.
In order to be considered for the Leadership Scholars Program and $2,000 annual Leadership Scholarship, students must do the following:
- Demonstrate an exceptional commitment to ethical leadership as an incoming freshman
- Have a minimum GPA of a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or an 80 on a 100-point scale
- Have a minimum score of 1090 on the new two-section SAT or 1500 on the old three-section SAT, or a 22 ACT composite score
- Apply to Stevenson by January 15 and be admitted to the University. Stevenson’s application for admissions will be available on August 1
- Complete the Leadership Scholars application (available August 1) by January 15
- Complete the Application for Service and Leadership Scholars Programs by January 15.
Stevenson University Leadership Scholars applications will also be considered for the Founders’ Scholarship when interviewing. There is no separate application for Founders’. Students selected for the Stevenson University Leadership Scholars will also receive the $2,000 Founders’ Scholarship in addition to the $2,000 Leadership Scholarship for a total of $4,000 in scholarship funding on top of any previously awarded SU Merit-Based Scholarship. Students not selected for the Stevenson University Leadership Scholars may be awarded a Founders’ Scholarship of $2,000 on its own.
Students who meet all of the above application requirements will be notified whether or not they have been selected for Stevenson University Leadership Scholars program by Friday, March 3.
Complete a Scholarship Application
Schedule Specialty Scholarship Interview
In order to remain a Leadership Scholar once accepted to the program, students must:
- Enroll as a full-time student
- Maintain the minimum required GPA (2.5 at the end of year one, 2.6 at the end of year two, and 2.7 at the end of year three).
- Attend an annual retreat and monthly meetings/reflection sessions
- Complete a minimum of 30 hours of service per academic year (minimum 10 hours per semester), documented on monthly time sheets and submitted each semester by the required deadline
- Enroll in a total of 3 leadership courses.
- One of these course can be substituted for a service-learning courses, For example, Service-Learning 101: Community As Your Classroom Seminar
- Attend a pre-approved regional or national student leadership conference
- Present at a conference or Stevenson University’s Experiential Learning Expo
Benefits of the program include:
- $2,000 annual Leadership Scholarship for four consecutive years of full-time study at the University. Recipients also receive the $2,000 annual Founders’ Scholarship, which is also renewable for four years, for a total additional annual award of $4,000 on top of any SU Merit-Based Scholarship.
- Housing placement in Leadership Scholars living-learning community
- Priority registration for leadership and service-learning courses
- A supportive community of peers and mentors, as well as personal consultations with administrative coordinator(s)
- Opportunities to attend various leadership seminars and speakers in the Baltimore/ DC area.
- Gain experience for internships, interviews, and post-graduation professional opportunities
- Tangible leadership and service experience on- and off-campus
- Opportunities to learn about the Owings Mills and Baltimore communities
- Expansion of professional networks
Have a Question?
Owings Mills, MD 21117-7804