Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Who are the Residence Life Staff?

The Residence Life staff consists of the Assistant Vice President and Director for Residence Life, Sarah Mansfield, as well as Resident Directors and Resident Assistants.

Resident Directors (RDs) are full-time professional, live-in staff members who hold master's degrees. Resident Directors assist with problems, supervise RAs, encourage student development, and advise the Residence Hall Association.

Resident Assistants (RAs) are student leaders who live in the buildings to help make your experience in housing the best it can be. They are carefully selected and specially trained to help in case of emergencies, roommate issues, or concerns. Each RA also plans at least one event per month.

Residence Life staff members are on-duty every night during the regular academic year. The schedule for who is on-duty and how to contact them is so posted on the bulletin board on every floor of the residence halls.

Who picks my roommate?

If you are a first year or transfer student, your responses from the online Housing Characteristics Survey will be used to match you with another person based on your expressed preferences.

If you are a returning student, you have the opportunity to choose your roommates at the annual housing selection process in the spring. If you do not choose roommates during this process, you will be assigned with roommates by the Office of Residence Life.

What if I know who I want as my roommates?

If you are a new student and know with whom you wish to live, you should email our roommate email with the name(s) of these preferred roommate(s). You must send this e-mail from your email address* to verify your student status and ensure you are the one making the request. You must have your desired roommates forward an email to this account and explicitly request you as well. We will only honor those requests from both students. Requests must be mutual to be considered. Though we attempt to honor all requests, the Office of Residence Life has final say in determining placements. Returning students have the opportunity to select roommates each spring through the annual housing selection process.

*New students who deposit by May 1 will receive an e-mail to the personal e-mail address on file with Admissions with instructions on how to configure their single sign-on and Stevenson e-mail. This e-mail is sent from TechConnection in mid-May.

Do I have to live with other people? Is a single available?

Living with others is an invaluable college experience and one that fosters the development of good communication and compromising skills, as well as the appreciation for diverse cultures and lifestyles. Students living in the suites should expect to have a roommate. Returning students assigned to the apartments will have a single room within the apartment unit. Single rooms are only assigned to students with appropriate medical documentation.

When will I be notified of my roommates, building, and room?

New freshmen are notified by mail of their room and roommate assignments no later than the second week of August. If you have not received your information by then, please email or call the Office of Residence Life at 443-334-2588. Please note that this is a busy time in our office and we will respond as quickly as we can.

What if I don't like my roommate(s)? How will I get another one?

Successfully sharing space with another person requires communication, collaboration, and compromise. While most students live well together, there are times when roommates do not get along. To keep problems from occurring, all new residents will complete a Roommate Agreement at the beginning of the academic year. We encourage you to take this process seriously, as considering a lifestyle difference before they become a source of tension is often helpful.

However, sometimes problems do occur. In these circumstances, we encourage you to communicate with your roommate(s) - check out College Roommate Rules or Managing Roommate Relations for tips and tricks! If this doesn't work, we encourage you to turn to your Resident Assistant for help. He or she can suggest ways to improve communication with your roommate(s). If that is not successful, we may suggest a meeting with all roommates, where the RA or Resident Director will act as a mediator. The Roommate Agreement form will be reviewed and possibly revised at this meeting. It is important to remember that resolution of tension and disagreements between roommates requires cooperation from each of the individuals. You should not expect the problem to be "fixed" without your whole-hearted and full cooperation, which may require you to adjust your behavior as well as your roommate(s) doing the same.

A room change is usually the last resort, taken when the Resident Director determines that the roommates are unable to live together successfully. All room changes are restricted by availability of residence hall space. If there are no vacancies available, it is not possible to move anyone except through an even-swap. Residents are expected to make arrangements for even-swaps, talking to friends and members of the floor community to determine who might be interested in switching places.

Please note we will not be entertaining any room switches until three weeks into the semester. We feel it will take three weeks to properly get adjusted to living with a roommate and entering a routine with each other.

Will I live with people of the opposite sex?

Only one gender is assigned to an individual room, suite or apartment. All floors and all buildings are coed by apartment or suite.

Can I have guests visit me from other buildings? From home? Am I responsible for them while they're here?

Residents do not have a contractual right to have guests. This is solely a privilege granted by the roommates and the University. Guests may stay one night in a seven-day period, and only with permission of all roommates within the living unit. Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guests and are responsible for informing guests of all SU housing policies. For the complete guest policy, review the Housing Guidelines.

How safe is the housing complex?

We consider the residential facilities to be as safe as each person makes it. In other words, each of us has a responsibility to make sure that we do not jeopardize others' safety by loaning keys or access cards, propping doors, or admitting people we don't know into the buildings. Information about criminal incidents can be accessed through SU Security.

Are there frequent thefts in the housing complex? What should I do if something is stolen?

Information about the frequency of criminal incidents can be accessed through SU Security. If something is stolen, report the theft to SU Security at (443) 352-4500.

What should I bring to my room?

In general, you should bring all of the items that you need on a day-to-day basis (linens, cosmetics, toiletries, clothing), academic support materials (computer, dictionary, high school notes, etc.), as well as items that are personally important to you (photos, mementos, posters). For a more comprehensive list of what to bring, visit our What to Bring page.

What should I not bring to the housing complex?

Some items are prohibited in the housing complex for reasons of health (pets), safety (candles or other burning substances) or law (alcohol in any apartment/suite where underage students reside). To learn more, visit our Prohibited Items page.

What will be provided in my room? In the apartment/suite?

Each room is furnished with a bed frame, mattress, dresser and closet space, and a desk and chair. All windows have mini-blinds for privacy. All rooms have wall-to-wall carpeting. One micro-fridge unit (mini-refrigerator, mini-freezer, and mini-microwave) will be provided in each suite. A sofa, two chairs, and four cafe stools are provided in the apartment. The kitchen area in all apartments is equipped with a full size refrigerator, microwave, stove, oven, sink, and dishwasher.

Do I need to purchase extra-long sheets for my bed?

Yes. The mattresses provided in the rooms are extra-long. Extra-long sheets can be hard to find, especially during the beginning of the school year. To help remedy this problem, we partner with Residence Hall Linens. A portion of the proceeds from this program goes to support programs and activities planned by students throughout the year.

Can I rent a loft? Can I construct/bring my own loft?

No. No cinder blocks, bed risers, lofts, or other wooden construction are permitted in the buildings. Bed frames in the suites are adjustable in height. Under-bed storage drawers are provided in the apartments.

Can I bring a refrigerator? What about a microwave?

No. A micro-fridge unit (mini-refrigerator, mini-freezer, and mini-microwave) will be provided for each suite.  A refrigerator and microwave are provided in each apartment for roommates to share. No additional personal refrigerators or microwaves are permitted.

Are the buildings air conditioned?

Yes, the air conditioning is controllable within each living unit. No additional air conditioning units are permitted.

Who cleans my room?

Students are expected to clean their own rooms and apartments. Housekeeping staff clean the public areas: lounges, hallways, and lobbies.

Where can I do my laundry? How much does it cost?

Laundry facilities are located on the first floor of each building. Laundry costs are included in paid housing fees, and machines can be activated using your SU One card. A free service called E-Suds is provided to alert you when machines are available or when your laundry cycle is complete.

What is the University's alcohol policy? What happens if I violate it?

Stevenson University adheres to Maryland state laws regarding the use of alcoholic beverages and prohibits the possession or consumption of alcohol by minors. Students who are of legal drinking age may possess or consume alcohol within certain guidelines established to help students make responsible and adult choices concerning the role of alcohol in their lives. If a student is suspected of violating the alcohol policy, a judicial hearing will be held with a professional member of the Student Affairs staff. To view the complete Alcohol Policy, including possible sanctions, please refer to the Housing Guidelines.

Do the apartments/suites have cable TV service?

Yes. Each bedroom, and the living room in each apartment, has a cable connection, which is operational upon student move-in.

How do I get connected to the campus computer network?

Each bedroom has an Internet connection that is operational upon student move-in. Students are required to register with the Office of Information Technology (OIT) and install a software security package (provided free of charge to students) if they intend to use the campus computer network. Students will receive information at move-in about registering and installing the software.

How can I hang posters and pictures on my walls?

The Residence Life staff does not condone the use of any particular product to secure posters, pictures, wall hangings, etc. The use of adhesive, putty, glue, paste, nails, staples, and screws, on walls, furniture, and doors is not permitted. Use caution when decorating and removing decorations to avoid causing permanent damage to surfaces, as you will be assessed repair costs for any damage to your room.

Are there lounges in the buildings? Where can I study?

Each building has lounges on the second, third, and fourth floors. Lounges in Worthington and Greenspring halls are also used as classrooms.  Ratcliffe Community Center can also be used. Small study areas with Internet access are set up throughout the building. Students may utilize these lounges as well as their rooms and the library to get work done.

What are quiet hours? When are they?

One of the most frequent kinds of disruptive conduct and/or disregard for the rights of others comes in the form of noise. Although it is not possible to accommodate the needs of every student regarding sleep and study time, "quiet hours" and "courtesy hours" have been established to provide an atmosphere that is conducive to study, sleep and relaxation. "Quiet hours" refer to those times when the buildings must remain especially quiet. During quiet hours, noise of any kind should be confined to the privacy of your own apartment/suite. From Sunday to Thursday, quiet hours begin at 10 p.m. and end at 10 a.m. the next day. On the weekend, quiet hours run from 1-11 a.m. on Saturday and 1-11:00 a.m. on Sunday. In addition to quiet hours, reasonable quiet must be maintained 24 hours a day. This policy is referred to as "courtesy hours." When asked by another resident to reduce the noise level, residents are expected to do so immediately out of courtesy to their neighbors.

Can I smoke in the buildings?

No. All Stevenson University housing is smoke-free.

How do I know what the policies are?

The Housing Guidelines and Residence Contract are available on the Living On Campus site section. SU Housing policies are briefly outlined in your Residence Contract. On move-in day, all residents are expected to attend the housing orientation meeting, where the Housing guidelines are distributed and explained in greater detail.

What happens if I get in trouble?

In most cases, if you get involved in a situation where policies may have been violated, you will have the opportunity to meet with a professional staff member who is investigating the incident. Responsibility and sanctioning are usually decided at this level.

If I do get in trouble, will you tell my parents/guardians?

It is good practice for students to have open communication with parents/guardians about the University experience and we always recommend that students talk to their parents/guardians about any involvement in the disciplinary process. Parents/guardians are routinely notified of student involvement in the disciplinary process if the student is found responsible for a second alcohol violation, is at risk of harming themselves or others, or is at risk of losing their housing privilege. Parents/guardians can be notified on any violation if you are under the age of 18.

What is located in the Ratcliffe Community Center?

The Ratcliffe Community Center has spaces for students to sit and study or socialize and have fun. The main room has several comfortable seating areas and televisions, and it even has a fireplace. It also houses a game room with a pool table and a TV room with a large-screen TV and study areas. Also located in Ratcliffe is  Jazzman’s, a convenience store and coffee shop. Campus Security and the Office of Residence Life are located in Ratcliffe. The Ratcliffe Community Center front desk is open between 8:30 a.m.-10 p.m. and student staff will answer any questions that arise.

How do I get mail?

Mailboxes for are located on the first floor of the buildings

What's my address?


Joe Student

Residence Hall

Worthington Hall

Stevenson University

Stevenson University

Residence Hall Number Campus Circle

118 Campus Circle

Owings Mills, MD 21117

Owings Mills, MD 21117

101-Wooded Way Hall
102-Western Run Hall
104-Patapsco Hall

105- Herring Run Hall
106-Susquehanna Hall
107- Wakefield Hall
108-Long Green Hall
110-Greenspring Hall
112-Dulaney Hall
114-Belfast Hall
116-Shawan Hall
118-Worthington Hall
120-Cromwell Hall

How often is mail delivered?

Mail is delivered once a day (except Saturday & Sunday).

What if I have outgoing mail?

Stamped, outgoing mail can be dropped off where the student mailboxes are located in the outgoing mail slot. Students can also send intercampus mail by dropping appropriately labeled items in the slot labeled "intercampus mail."

What if I lose/damage my access card?

SU Security can de-activate your old access card and print you a new one. This service costs $25. SU Security-Owings Mills can be reached at x4500 (from an on-campus location) or 443-352-4500 (from off campus).

What if I lock myself out of my room/apartment?

Monday thru Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. you can go to the Residence Life Office and sign out a key to let yourself in to your room and this is free. After hours and on weekends SU Security can be reached at x4500 or 443-352-4500 and can give you access to your room/apartment. Lock-outs cost $25 which will be charged to your student account.

Does the University offer storage for my stuff over the summer?

No. The University does not provide storage for residents' personal belongings. All items must be removed at the end of the academic year. Items left in the living units will be discarded. There are privately owned storage facilities for rent on Owings Mills Boulevard in the event that students need to store items over the summer months.

Where can I get more information on the meal plan?

Stevenson University contracts with Sodexo to provide meal services to students. More information on meal plans, flex dollars, and pricing information is on our Dining Services website.

Do I have to send in my $150 security deposit with my signed housing contract?

No. The $150 security deposit (which is held during the academic year and then returned via an automated process in June if there are no damages to the living unit) will be put onto your student account with your housing fees.

What is the Student Health Form? Do I need to complete this?

The Student Health Form is required for all students living on campus. Please click here to learn more about the Student Health Form.

Do I need a meningitis vaccine to live on the Stevenson University campus?

All residential students are required to provide documentation of a meningococcal vaccination per Health-General Article 18-102(b) Annotated Code of Maryland 10.06.05 Meningococcal Vaccination Requirements for Students in Institutions of Higher Education). If the primary dose of meningitis was administered before the 16th birthday, a booster will be required before moving into residence on campus.

What is “My Student Body” and how does it affect me?

SU is pleased to offer MyStudentBody, a comprehensive wellness program that delivers accurate and pertinent health information to all of our students. All students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to use the sites as a valuable resource for; alcohol, drugs, sexual violence, nutrition, sexual health and stress. In addition, SU requires first year students (all commuters and residential including transfer students) to complete the MyStudentBody Essentials Course-Alcohol, Drugs and Sexual violence along with the student health form.

Learn more >

What is the housing selection process?

The Housing Selection process for the upcoming academic year always takes place during the spring semesters for returning students. Students and families will be contacted over winter break with the information for the upcoming selection year, including dates, deposit and housing contract information.

Students should also reference the Residence Life Portal site for updates and announcements about the process.