International and Off-Campus Study Emergency Response Policy
The Office of International & Off-Campus Study routinely monitors the safety and security conditions in locations where Stevenson University students travel for the purpose of taking part in University sanctioned credit-bearing courses. The International & Off-Campus Study Emergency Response Plan designates the process in the event of an emergency or crisis involving the well-being of Stevenson University students, faculty, and/or staff in a University sponsored program or role off-campus (domestic or international). While acknowledging that no single plan can address all contingencies, Stevenson recognizes the importance of establishing, in advance, policies and procedures that are designed to safeguard the safety and well-being of participants.
For this purpose, a crisis is any circumstance that poses a genuine risk to, or that has already disturbed, the ongoing safety and well-being of the Stevenson University participants.
Crises could include, though are not limited to, the following:
- Arrests by police or other security forces
- Disappearance or kidnapping
- Hospitalization for any reason
- Legal action involving a participant
- Local political crisis that could affect the participants’ safety and well being
- Natural or man-made disaster
- Physical assault resulting in serious injury
- Robbery resulting in serious injury
- Serious illness (physical or emotional)
- Sexual assault or rape
- Significant accident and/or injury
- Terrorist threat or attack
Once the information on the crisis situation is established, the Associate Dean, International & Off-Campus Study will consult with the Executive Vice President, Academic Affairs to make an initial determination if a particular situation warrants the activation of the International & Off-Campus Study Emergency Response Team. The International & Off-Campus Study Emergency Response Team is the main body that makes decisions and coordinates a response in the event of an emergency or crisis involving student and/or faculty participants.
The Team is made up of the following positions:
- Assistant Vice President, Facilities & Campus Services
- Assistant Vice President, Wellness Center
- Associate Dean, International & Off-Campus Study
- Associate Vice President & Controller, Business Office
- Director, Security
- Executive Vice President, Academic Affairs
- Vice President & Chief of Staff, President’s Office
- Vice President, Marketing & Digital Communications
- Vice President, Student Affairs
- Vice President, Human Resources & Title IX Coordinator
In the case that the Team is called to action, additional members may be called upon on a case-by-case basis to include expertise on a geographical region or issue that is pertinent to the crisis at hand.
The International & Off-Campus Study Emergency Response Plan is intended to be updated on a regular, ongoing basis as needed. The Crisis Management Plan in its entirety is on the Stevenson University Human Resources webpage.