The Office of Career Services will coach you on effective interview skills. We encourage you to schedule an advising appointment to learn tips and to practice interviewing in a mock interview.
To help you prepare, we offer the following tips:
- Research: Thoroughly review the employer’s website and the job description. Check the employers’ pages on sites such as LinkedIn and Glassdoor. Know the employer, know the job.
- Practice: Anticipate questions, then practice by using specific examples to demonstrate your knowledge and experience. Conduct a mock interview with your SU Career Advisor.
- Dress professionally: Wear a suit or tailored, professional outfit, even if the office is business casual. No fragrance, simple jewelry.
- Be on time. Ideally arrive 10 minutes early. Either use a mapping tool or practice the route to anticipate how long it will take you, then add 15 minutes.
- Turn off your cellphone.
- Be polite to all. Each person you meet might influence the decision.
- Use a confident handshake.
- Tell stories. Share examples. When asked about how you would approach a scenario, share a time when you did something similar.
- Remain positive. Never complain about past bosses or colleagues. When sharing a negative experience, tell what you learned from the experience.
- Say thank you. Twice. First, at the end of the interview, then by e-mail to each person interviewed. Reiterate (briefly) how your qualifications are a good match and how interested you are in getting the job.