Skip Navigation

Winter 2016 | Ventures

Keyword: advancing the mission

Academic Center Campaign Secures a Bright Future

On Aug. 30, members of the University community and their guests gathered at Owings Mills North to celebrate the opening of the Kevin J. Manning Academic Center.

The 200,000-square-foot renovated building was designed to provide current and future students with state-of-the-art, expansive learning spaces. Now, a capital campaign focused on the center is inspiring benefactors— including Stevenson’s Trustees, friends of the University, local foundations, and companies—to step forward.

To date, more than $13 million has been raised to support the creation of the space and the opportunities for learning inside it. Now Stevenson’s largest academic space, the Manning Academic Center houses the School of Design, the Sandra R. Berman School of Nursing and Health Professions, and the Beverly K. Fine School of the Sciences.

The Sandra R. Berman School of Nursing and Health Professions

Malcolm and Sandy Berman are steadfast supporters and friends of Stevenson University. Sandy, a Stevenson Trustee and a leader in the greater community, has actively worked to guarantee that our healthcare and education systems are strong and thriving.

Continuing their extraordinary support of the community and connecting two of Sandy’s areas of interest, the Bermans made a leadership gift toward the Academic Center Campaign, which Stevenson is recognizing through the naming of the Sandra R. Berman School of Nursing and Health Professions.

The Beverly K. Fine School of the Sciences

Stevenson received a second leadership gift from The Beverly K. and Jerome M. Fine Foundation. Trustees of the Foundation, Louis and Phyllis Friedman, were introduced to Stevenson by their friends, Malcolm and Sandy Berman, and selected Stevenson University as the beneficiary of this monumental gift. The Friedmans believe that this naming gift is an ideal project for the Foundation and a fitting way to honor and remember Mrs. Fine. The School of the Sciences will now be known as the Beverly K. Fine School of the Sciences.

Find out more at stevenson.edu/academiccenter.

Hope Lodge

The inaugural Alumni Board Service Project took place on March 29 at the American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge in Baltimore. Members of the Alumni Board prepared dinner for a group of individuals receiving local cancer treatments, along with their caregivers. Coordinated by the Alumni Board’s Engagement Committee, the event was a great success. According to Committee Chair Blaire Miller ’05, the experience “really brought us closer together but it also shows our commitment to the community.” The committee intends to host an annual service project and to support the efforts of service initiatives developed by Stevenson students.

Alumni volunteers received a generous donation of food from Terra’s Kitchen to prepare that evening. Thanks to the generosity of two members of the company’s marketing team, Jaime Elwood ’01 and Mike Tyler ’02, ingredients were supplied for a chicken dish that was served to 40 guests. Following the meal preparation, volunteers were able to sit down and enjoy dinner with the guests residing at Hope Lodge. This event truly demonstrates the meaningful impact that can result when our alumni continue to engage with their alma mater.

Visit bit.ly/SUAlumatHopeLodge to learn more about Alumni Make a Difference.

Education Changes Everything

Each issue of Ventures highlights Office of University Advancement projects and programs.

The purpose is to create philanthropic opportunity for any and all who want to partner with this institution to provide access to education and to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing world. Why? The reasons go back to Stevenson’s foundation. When Sr. Julie Billiart founded the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in France in 1804, a free school for girls was soon opened and a legacy of creating access to education was cemented. The order grew and came to America, continuing this mission. In 1947 they established Villa Julie Junior College and Medical Secretarial School, the forerunner to Stevenson University. The purpose: to provide opportunities for young women to learn for learning’s sake and give them the skills and knowledge for an expanding workforce.1959 Yearbook, Biology Class

Nearly 70 years later, the faculty and staff of Stevenson University come to campus each day because they know that access to education ensures a knowledgeable and prepared citizenry. And those in University Advancement come to campus each day because the rising costs to teach and train students create a challenge and an opportunity. The challenge is to ensure that those who want to study at SU can study at SU. The opportunity is to invite alumni, parents, friends, corporations, and foundations to engage with and help meet this challenge.

In the printed version of this issue, please note the honor roll of donors. The pages of names are meant to thank those listed, to celebrate the growing number of supporters, and to highlight the work that has and can be done for Stevenson students. There is a rich history here with possibility always on the horizon.

So when you read in these pages or in a letter, or learn in a phone call why the University is asking for support, please know that it is because of one goal: Ensuring that students who want to come here have the resources to thrive here. That’s why the Office of University Advancement engages those who believe in and want to support education—because it changes everything. To make your gift through our secure online site visit stevenson.edu/ givetosu.

Subscribe

* = required.

2016 Winter | Ventures Online
Ventures, Winter 2016
Flipbook | Download

Archives

Arts & Cultural Events

Full Calendar

View Full Calendar

 
 
Request Info