Skip Navigation

Financial Aid Census Date and Disbursement Information

Funds will post to your student account after the financial aid census date. The census date typically marks the end of the add/drop period for the semester. This is the date we take a "snapshot" of all students' enrollment to establish the "official enrollment" for reporting purposes and financial aid eligibility.

The classes for which you are registered as of the census date determine the amount of financial aid you will receive. We will compare your enrollment as of the census date with the ENROLLMENT STATUS on your SU AWARD LETTER to determine if you continue to meet the eligibility requirements for each of the aid programs listed. If a revision is warranted, we will notify you by email at your campus address. It is possible your aid will increase, decrease, or even be cancelled.

  • If you increase or reduce your credit load before the census date, your financial aid may be adjusted, as appropriate, for your enrollment level. If your aid is reduced and it creates a balance due on your SU account, you will be responsible for payment.
  • If you add credits after the census date, your aid will not be increased.
  • Aid may be affected if you are taking courses that begin after the census date. For example, if you are enrolled in a traditional undergraduate program and taking a class that starts after the census date, the Federal Pell Grant will not be disbursed until after the LAST drop date for which you are enrolled. If you fail to begin attendance in all classes, the grant will be reduced accordingly. Loans will disburse when you reach half-time enrollment.
  • Aid may be affected if you submit Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) information or corrections after the census date.

Please note:

  • To avoid delayed or unexpected revisions to your financial aid, be sure to review the ENROLLMENT AND HOUSING STATUS on your AWARD LETTER upon receipt.
  • Your award is based on the enrollment status indicated on your Award Letter. Make sure this information is correct. If your enrollment plans change, it is crucial that you notify Financial Aid in writing immediately.
  • Whether you will be living in SU housing or commuting, your award is based on information provided by the SU Residence Life Office or your FAFSA. Review the housing status on your Award Letter for accuracy. If your housing plans change, you must notify the Financial Aid Office in writing, and if applicable, Residence Life, immediately. The email address for the Financial Aid Office is . We will promptly recalculate your award.
  • SU need-based grants may be reduced by the addition of later awards from the State of Maryland or other sources. If any outside funds affect your current financial aid award, you will be notified of all changes.
  • State awards post upon receipt of the funds from the State of Maryland; November for the fall semester, March for the spring semester.
  • Work-study earnings are not posted to your student account. You will receive a bi-weekly paycheck directly from your supervisor.
  • Private scholarships and any other awards you may be receiving from independent sources will be credited to your account upon receipt of these funds by the SU Student Accounts Office. Often times, private scholarship funds are sent to the university in one check and therefore, posted to your account as a single disbursement for the fall semester.
  • State aid recipient refund checks may be delayed due to the receipt date of these funds.
  • Credit Balance: If you have a credit balance from your financial aid, you will receive a refund check from the Student Accounts Office. No refund checks will be issued until your aid is posted to your student account.
  • Book Voucher: Under certain circumstances, you may be able to take a credit against your financial aid in the form of a Book Voucher to purchase required books and supplies from the University Store. Your loans must be certified, and your total aid combined with any other form of payment on your student account must exceed your total charges. To find out if you are eligible, contact the Student Accounts Office at 443-334-3500.
  • Summer Financial Aid: You may be eligible to receive funds for summer enrollment depending on enrollment and the amount of aid you received during the previous academic year. An application for summer aid is required. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to check on your eligibility.
Request Info