Business Communication senior Savannah Lawrence, an avid runner who blogs about health and exercise (among other topics), was featured in an Aug. 9 Carroll County Times article, "Want to try another workout? Give running a go." Savannah explains the merits of strength training for distance runners and the importance of connecting with other members of the running community.
Have a Question?
Owings Mills Campus
Garrison Hall, Second Floor
Business Communication News
Dr. Kevin J. Manning, president of Stevenson University, awarded Chip Rouse, associate professor of Business Communication, the prestigious President's Medal at the university's Commencement ceremonies in May, 2016.
The President's Medal is conferred on a person whose life exemplifies the ideals and aspirations of Stevenson University, and whose service to the University is extraordinary in both scope and quality. The award especially noted the former Business Communication department chair's engagement with many aspects of the SU community. Here, Rouse wears the medal and displays the plaque she received. She joins fellow Business Communication faculty member Christine Noya as a recipient of the award. (Photo courtesy of Sue Kenney)
As classes will be starting soon, here are a dozen tips that might offer you a path to success in 2016. Would you add anything to this list?
1. Make it a point to meet -- and meet with -- your academic advisor.
2. Don't be afraid to take risks -- by joining a new club, playing on a team or finding interesting activities to participate in.
3. Form a routine that will help you stay on track, depending on your schedule.
4. Pay attention to your health through good food, exercise, and sleep choices.
5. Set organized weekly goals -- and write them down. Then carry them out.
6. Know yourself -- your skills, abilities and interests -- and make the most of them.
7. Get a mentor, someone on campus or at your internship who can be your "go-to" advice person.
8. Read your syllabi. Faculty expect you to be familiar with each class' plan.
9. Arrive on time for every class and meeting. There's no excuse for tardiness.
10. Make friends in each class. It's great to have a study buddy or a reliable academic partner.
11. Start assignments early. Procrastination and wasting time will always hold you back.
12. Ask questions. Don't be afraid your teacher will get irritated. Someone else probably has the same questions you do.
Congratulations to two spectacular BizComm athletes who will be inducted in the Dick Watts Stevenson University Athletics Hall of Fame for 2016. GoMustangSports notes the following:
Wade Henninger (2005) was a four-year standout for the men's basketball program from 2001-05 and scored 1,424 points in 95 career games, ranking fourth in career scoring. He also ranks seventh in career field goal percentage, third in career three-point field goals, first in career three-point percentage, third in career rebounds, fourth in career assists and first in blocked shots. As a junior he tossed in a program-record 44 points against Salisbury, a mark that stood until 2015.
Anthony Fitzgerald (2006) played men's basketball from 2003-06 and led the Mustangs to the first men's basketball NCAA berth in program history as a senior. He is the program's all-time leader in scoring, field goal percentage, and rebounds, ranking third in Division III history in total rebounds and 10th in rebounds per game. As a senior he averaged 17.1 points and 14.4 rebounds per game as Villa Julie finished 20-9. Fitzgerald led the country in rebounding as a junior and senior while ranking second nationally as a sophomore and third as a freshman.
The department of Business Communication salutes these fine athletes. Congrats! (Photos from gomustangsports.com)
BizComm students and alums -- Looking for a career spot that is everything you're searching for? In a survey conducted by Quantum Workplace, the Baltimore Business Journal's partner in Best Places to Work, the following companies earned top marks as finalists. Here, the BBJ presents the top 10 companies in four size categories: micro (10 - 24 employees), small (25 - 49), midsize (50 - 99) and large (100 or more). (Logo from LinkedIn)
- Abel Communications
- Anchor Technologies Inc.
- Berman McAleer
- Compass Cyber Security
- Eliassen Group
- Keepers Staffing
- Phalanx Secure Solutions Inc.
- Right Resources Staffing
- Tidewater Yacht Service
- Applied Technology Group
- Asymmetrik Ltd.
- ClearView Group LLC.
- Resolute Technologies LLC
- Sensible Solutions and Technologies Inc.
- Synergist Computing
- Westwicke Partners
- Agora Financial
- Direct Mortgage Loans
- GWWO Inc./Architects
- Johns Hopkins Federal Credit Union
- Lotame Solutions Inc.
- Moser Consulting Inc.
- Robert Half
- Tribute Home Care
- Advance Business Systems
- Bon Secours Baltimore Health System
- First Home Mortgage Corp.
- FX Studios
- NewDay USA
- NewWave Telecom and Technologies Inc.
- Proteus Technologies
- Strategic Factory