Have a Question?
Owings Mills Campus
Garrison Hall, Second Floor
Business Communication News
Stevenson students and faculty welcomed Stan "The Fan" Charles on Nov. 19, 2018, as he served as the annual Shapiro/Rouse lecturer in Business Communication. The creator and publisher of PressBox and PressBoxOnline.com, Charles has been involved in sports reporting -- in print, on the radio, and on television -- for more than 40 years. His talk focused on five tips for students as they embark on their career paths:
1. Show up. Stay focused. Be enthusiastic about the job at hand. Give it a chance.
2. Embrace selling. It can be inspiring and liberating and if you learn it well, it can work in every aspect of your life.
3. Build relationships within your profession. Learn to rely on the expertise of others. Successful people know what they don't know.
4. Get good at things you know you are not good at before it's too late. Don't be afraid to try and try again.You really can teach an old dog new tricks.
5. Never hesitate to reinvent yourself. Your career path may wind around in a new direction every so often; don't fear career changes.