Have a Question?
Owings Mills Campus
Garrison Hall North, Second Floor
Harry Turner: School of Humanities and Social Sciences Faculty
Harry B. Turner , J.D.
Wooded Way 107
Owings Mills CampusCampus Map
American Association for Paralegal Education (AAfPE)
American Society for Legal History
Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA)
- Section Member: Section Council, Legal Education and Admission to the Bar; Business Law; Estate and Trust Law
Modern Language Association of America (MLA)
J.D. University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland, May 1981, Cum Laude.
B.A. English and Classical Civilization. University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 1975.
Stevenson University, Owings Mills, Maryland
Professor, Legal Studies, Spring 2016–present
Associate Professor, Legal Studies, Fall 2010–2015
Assistant Professor, Legal Studies, Fall 2005–Spring 2010
Adjunct Professor, Legal Studies, Spring 1993–Spring 2004
Related Professional Experience
Harry Belt Turner, P.A., Towson, Maryland
Sole Practitioner, 1992–2005
Estate planning and administration, trust administration, corporate and business law, contract law, home owner association law, real estate and leasing. Appeared and represented clients in business purchase and sale negotiations, contract negotiations, before zoning boards, and in caveat proceedings before the Maryland Orphans’ Court.
Adelberg, Rudow, Dorf, Hendler & Sameth, Baltimore, Maryland
Associate, Commercial transactional law, 1987–1991
Advising on the laws applicable to transactions and on the appropriate structure to manage and minimize legal and commercial risks; drafting contracts and other transactional documents; supervising and performing due diligence; drafting due diligence letters, business and loan negotiations; executing successful transactions.
Melnicove, Kaufman, Weiner, Spouse & Garbis, Baltimore, Maryland
Associate, Commercial transactional law and appellate practice, 1982–1987
Worked on the purchase and sale of major businesses, corporate reorganizations, represented office buildings and shopping centers in lease negotiations, worked with Baltimore City in procuring federal Urban Development Action Grants and drafted UDAG grant proposals therefor, drafted appellate briefs arising out of commercial civil litigation, including working with Joseph Kaufman on the brief for the successful collective bargaining petition before the U.S. Supreme Court, Jackson Transit Authority v. Local Division 1285, Amalgamated Transit Union, AFL-CIO-CLC, 457 U.S. 15 (1982).
- Bartering for Research Assistance & Demonstration of Online Tools Make Historical Documents and Land Surveys Readily Accessible at HaSS Diverse Perspectives Forum, Stevenson University, February 20, 2018.
- “Tenant by Copy of Manorial Court-Roll,” Wiltshire Family History Society Journal, (Bethanie Afton, ed.) Devizes, Wiltshire, UK, Issue 148, January 2018.
- Executive Function, Deliberate Practice, Grit, and the Legal Studies Student, Session Developer and Facilitator at AAfPE National Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 2014
- “Suffer into Truth,” International Journal of Liberal Arts and Social Science, London, UK, June 2014 (ResearchGate 2015)
- Pitfalls in Legal Writing at Continuing Legal Education Session of the Maryland Association of Paralegals, Baltimore, Maryland, April 2014
- Teaching Competition, Demonstrated teaching methods at AAfPE National Conference, Savannah, Georgia, October 2012
- Teaching Techniques, Session Round Table Facilitator at AAfPE National Conference, Baltimore, Maryland, November 2011
- Doing Well While Doing Good: Do Business and Ethics Go Together? Panelist, Stevenson University, February 2011
- “‘Immortal Aldrich!’: The Supreme Court and the Contested Election of 1876,” Paper Presented at the New England Historical Association Annual Conference, University of New England, Biddeford, Maine, November 2010
- Embryotic Stem Cell Research: Current Status, Panelist, Stevenson University, Fall 2009
Advanced Business Organizations Law
Advanced Estates and Trusts
Advanced Estate Planning
Advanced Real Estate Law
Business Organizations Law
Estates and Trusts
First Year Seminar – Legal Studies
Law and Literature
Legal Studies Capstone
Stevenson University Faculty Council
- Chair, Rules Committee: 2018–19
- Chair: 2017–18; 2012–13
- Vice Chair: 2016–17; 2011–12
- Co-Chair, Rules Committee: 2013–17
- Chair, Fiscal Affairs Committee: 2014–17; 2007–09
- Parliamentarian: 2008–09
- Member, Academic Affairs Committee: 2011–12
- Member, Learning for Living: Summer 2012
- Faculty Representative on the Policy Manual Committee: 2008–16
- Presidential Search Committee, Faculty Representative: 2016–17
- Co-Chair of Financial Affairs Strategic Planning Committee, University Strategic Plan 2009–2014, December 2008-May 2009
- Member, University Restructuring Task Force, Fall 2008–Spring 2009
Stevenson University School of Business and Leadership
- Member: Deep Dive Working Group on Industry Specialist Concept, December 2010-January 2011
- Member, School of Business Lecture Committee, Fall 2009–Spring 2011
Legal Studies Program
- Honors Program Advisor: 2008 to present
- LEX Honor Society Advisor: 2018 to present
Other University Service
- Professor Prologue, Baltimore Speakers Series, Fall 2013
- “Fashion on Trial,” Court Room, Moderator & Prosecutor, Spring 2010-2013
- Varsity Sport Faculty Appreciation Honoree, Homecoming 2009
- Legal Studies Honors Program Advisor, 2008–2014
- Guest Artist, Greenspring Valley Orchestra, Summer Serenade Concerts, 2007–2010, 2016
Honors and Awards
Lambda Epsilon Chi (Legal Studies Honors Society)
Honorary Faculty Inductee, April 2014
American Association for Paralegal Education
Excellence in Teaching Certificate, October 2012
DISCLAIMER: The content of this faculty profile page was created, authored, and published by the identified faculty member. Stevenson University (SU) makes absolutely no guarantee as to the currency, accuracy, or quality of information published. The views and opinions expressed on this page or any links made available are strictly those of the author and do not necessarily state or reflect those of SU. The content of this profile page has not been reviewed or approved by Stevenson University.