Another day, another meal. Here are a few more meal ideas to satisfy your quarantine cravings. It’s important to continue to eat well and stay healthy.
Mexican Corn Salad
· 6 Ears of corn – or 4 cups
· 1/4 cup Mayo
· 1/2 tsp Chili powder
· Dash Cayenne pepper
· 1 tsp Garlic minced
· Juice of 1 lime
· Salt and Pepper to taste
· 1 T Diced jarred jalapeno optional
· 1/3 cup Cotija cheese
· 1 T Parsley chopped, optional
- Cook your corn if using fresh corn, let it cool, then cut it off the cob. If using canned or frozen, about 4 cups grilled, oven baked, roasted, or boiled.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients, add more spices if desired.
- Mix in corn kernels. You can either serve this right away or set it in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe from: https://ahealthymakeover.com/easy-mexican-street-corn-salad/
I’ve yet to try this recipe myself, but I am very eager too. This is a great side dish for tacos or a stand-alone lunch.
Beef and Rice Bowls
· 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
· 1 cup Jasmine Rice (or rice of choice)
· 2 cups water
· ½ cup Cucumber – Thinly Sliced
· Shredded Carrot
· Green Onion
· ½ cup White Vinegar
· 1 tbsp. White Sugar
· ½ tsp Sesame Oil
· 1-2 tbsp. Soy Sauce
· ½ tsp Fish Sauce (optional)
· 2 tbsp. Hoisin Sauce
· 1 Clove Garlic
· Ginger Root
· Olive Oil
· Salt & Pepper
· Sriracha Mayo
· Yum Yum Sauce
- Boil 2 cups of water with a pinch of salt. Once boiling, add dry rice and reduce to simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until water is gone. Fluff and set aside once rice is tender.
- Peel and mince garlic and ginger root (a chunk about the size of your thumb).
- Sauté garlic and ginger in a medium pan with a splash of olive oil for about thirty seconds.
- Brown ground beef in the pan with the garlic and ginger.
- While beef if browning and rice is cooking, slice ½ a cup of cucumber thinly. In a small bowl mix sugar and vinegar until the sugar is completely dissolved. stir sliced cucumber into vinegar mixture and let set to quick pickle.
- After beef is browned stir in sesame oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, and a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Cook this mixture down and add hoisin sauce. Allow beef to caramelize slightly.
- In a small pan with bit of olive oil, sauté shredded carrots with a pinch of salt & pepper until the carrots are lightly softened.
- Slice green onion thinly and set aside.
10. To serve, in a bowl spoon beef over fluffed rice, arrange pickled cucumber, carrots, and a sprinkle of green onion over beef, and drizzle with sriracha mayo and yum yum sauce.
This is a recipe that I make all the time. There are a few specialized ingredients, but this meal is so easy and delicious it’s worth having them on hand. I usually make this for dinner, but you could honestly throw a fried egg on top and call it breakfast too.
As the semester comes to a close, I hope everyone is staying safe and continuing to eat well. Happy cooking, Mustangs!