Certificate in Community-Based Education & Leadership
Stevenson University's online Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Community-Based Education & Leadership is designed for practicing professionals in non-formal and informal education settings who want to expand their knowledge and skills to become effective educators and change leaders in their organizations. Upon completion of the Certificate program, graduates will have the ability to meet the needs of diverse populations of learners, build transformative learning communities, and foster collaborative partnerships within the expanding non-formal educational sector. Coursework can be completed online for this 15-credit hour program.
Due to the unique blend of coursework including understanding 21st century teaching and learning as well as organizational management and leadership, this program benefits a variety of positions, including and not limited to the following: Youth Development Specialists, Community Education Leaders, Athletic Coaches, and Non-profit Leaders.
Master's Degree Option
Stevenson also offers a master's in Certificate in Community-Based Education & Leadership for those who may not be ready to commit to master's program. LEARN ABOUT OUR Master's In CBEL
The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Community-Based Education & Leadership is an online 15-credit hour program.
- ED 606 Socio-political and Cultural Influences on Families, Communities, and Organizations
- CBEL 512 Foundations and Frameworks of Community-Based Education
- CBEL 618 Community Engagement and Leadership
Community-Based Education & Leadership Electives
Students will select two courses from the following content areas.
Teaching and Learning Electives
- ED 520 Cognitive, Social, and Emotional Development of Learners
- CBEL 612 Program Design, Implementation, and Evaluation
- CBEL 614 Innovative Teaching and Learning for 21st Century Skills
- CBEL 661 Principles and Practices of Youth Development
- CBEL 662 Teaching & Learning for Specialized Populations
- ED 608 Action Research and Data Driven Decision Making
- CBEL 670 Volunteer Development
- CBEL 671 Advocacy & Fundraising in Community-Based Organizations
- CBEL 672 Legal Issues and Risk Management in Community Organizations
- Completed online application. At this time, we are not accepting applications.
- Completion of bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Official college transcripts from all previous academic work.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in past academic work.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Resume of professional experience.
- Personal statement.
Who is the ideal candidate for this degree?
The intended audience for this program includes, but is not limited to, community school educators, after-school and out-of-school-time educators, librarians, museum coordinators, environmental educators, coaches and summer camp coordinators, higher education student affairs professionals, K-12 teachers and administrators, and government agency outreach providers.
How are courses offered?
Stevenson’s Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Community-Based Education & Leadership is offered online in 8-week sessions, providing flexibility for working professionals. Course content is facilitated through engaging online instruction by seasoned professionals. Current and innovative educational technology tools build community and encourage collaboration among students and between students and professors. Practical application of theory is embedded throughout the program.
How soon can the program be completed and when does it begin?
Anticipated enrollment of the first cohort of students is Fall 2017. The Certificate may be completed in under two years if one course is taken every 8-week session.
Is there a master's degree in Community-Based Education & Leadership available? Yes, Stevenson offers a Master of Arts in Community-Based Education & Leadership. All Post-Baccalaureate Certificate credits can be fully transferred into the master's program.
What if an applicant's GPA is under 3.0?
Consideration will be given to an applicant's professional experience along with academic record. Applicants are encouraged to address any areas of concern in the personal statement.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Please contact Amanda Millar, Enrollment Counselor, at email@example.com or call 443-334-3334.
Established in 1947, Stevenson University has a long history of providing students an affordable, private education.
The School of Graduate and Professional Studies has simplified the cost of your education by eliminating all fees.
Graduate Certificate Program Cost Per
Cost Per Course
Total Cost of Certificate
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Community-Based Education & Leadership $495.00 $1,485.00 $7,425.00*
*Does not include books.
Program pending Maryland Higher Education Commission approval.