Skip Navigation
  • The Mustangs are Coming

    Rekindle your Stevenson spirit by returning to campus for this year’s Homecoming celebration.
    Learn more
  • Building relationships

    Building Lifelong Relationships

    With an alumni base of more than 15,000 and growing, there are countless ways to get involved with your alma mater.
    Get Involved
  • Invest in our future

    Invest In Our Future

    Make an online contribution to Stevenson and see the difference that one person can make.
    Ways to Give
  • Be a part of something bigger

    Be Part of Something Bigger

    Attend alumni events to revive old relationships and spark new ones.
    Explore Alumni Events
 
 

Become an Ambassador

Share the great things happening at Stevenson. Become an Ambassador!

Get Involved

Get a Store Discount

With the Alumni ID card, alumni receive 20% off a special every month at the University Store.

See All Benefits

Invest in Our Future

Make an online contribution to Stevenson and see the difference that one person can make.

Explore Ways to Give
"I’m looking behind the numbers to see if there was a crime committed and if so, what it was, and then developing evidence to present to a grand or trial jury to get a conviction."
Joe Ford
Forensic Studies '09
Read Joe's Story

A History of Stevenson University

Previous Next
 
1947
Villa Julie College is founded by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur at "Seven Oaks."
1947

Villa Julie College is founded by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur at "Seven Oaks."

Villa Julie College is founded by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur at "Seven Oaks," an 80-acre estate in Greenspring Valley, formerly the home of the George Carrell Jenkins family. The College opens its doors on October 1, specializing in medical-secretarial training.

1954
Official approval as a two-year college is granted by the Maryland State Department of Education.
1954

Official approval as a two-year college is granted by the Maryland State Department of Education.

Kitty Lynch, Elaine Lucas, and Mary Ellen Jones work on an accounting issue, 1959.

1965
The College receives Maryland state approval for a child development program and for transfer programs in the arts and sciences as well as teacher education.
1967
Villa Julie becomes an independent institution, separating from the Catholic Church. Control is vested in a newly formed Board of Trustees comprised of business, civic, and professional leaders.
1971
In response to increasing enrollment, the College builds a multi-million dollar complex consisting of an art wing, learning resource center, and student center. Evening and summer sessions are inaugurated this same year.
1972
Villa Julie becomes co-educational, admitting its first full-time male student.
1972

Villa Julie becomes co-educational, admitting its first full-time male student.

1984
Villa Julie becomes a four-year college, offering a bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems.
1984

Villa Julie becomes a four-year college, offering a bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems.

Later, a degree in Paralegal Studies is added. The College continues to offer a two-year program leading to associate's degrees for all available majors.

1985
Again, in response to increasing student interest, the College constructs a new three-story laboratory building.
1985

Again, in response to increasing student interest, the College constructs a new three-story laboratory building.

A solid grounding in science was a prerequisite for many of the careers sought by Villa Julie Students in the late 1980s.

1986
The concept of career education combined with the liberal arts becomes a hallmark of Villa Julie's philosophy, Pro Discendo, Pro Vivendo: for living, for learning.
1990
The College designs and installs a sophisticated computer network, enabling students and faculty to access software and library resources from any building on campus.
1993
Cuvilly Hall is fully renovated and becomes The Student-Faculty Exchange.
1994
Villa Julie's athletic programs are accepted into NCAA Division III.
1994

Villa Julie's athletic programs are accepted into NCAA Division III.

The College's lacrosse team quickly reached high levels of competitiveness, becoming a respected NCAA Division III contender.

1995
Construction of the current Dawson Center, Inscape Theatre, Manuszak Center, Greenspring gymnasium, and science center begin as the first phase of the College's master plan for the campus.
1996
The Maryland State Department of Education grants approval for programs designed to prepare elementary and early childhood teachers.
1997
The Dawson Center and Inscape Theatre open in August and the Manuszak Center and gymnasium open in November.
1997

The Dawson Center and Inscape Theatre open in August and the Manuszak Center and gymnasium open in November.

1998
A new Science Center opens with top-notch research facilities and equipment.
2000
Kevin J. Manning, Ph.D., assumes his role as Villa Julie's fourth president.
2000

Kevin J. Manning, Ph.D., assumes his role as Villa Julie's fourth president.

Kevin Manning, Ph.D., brough new energy to Villa Julie's educational mission in 2000 when he began his tenure as the College's fourth President.

2004
Villa Julie opens its first College-owned housing complex in Owings Mills. The garden apartments and community center surround a quad perfect for campus activities.
2004

Villa Julie opens its first College-owned housing complex in Owings Mills. The garden apartments and community center surround a quad perfect for campus activities.

Baltimore County Executive James Smith Maryland Secretary of Budget and Management, James C. "Chip" DiPaula, Jr., Board of Trustees Chair Charles E. "Ted" Herget, Jr., and President Manning "breaking ground" on a new residence hall project at the Owings Mills campus, 2004.

2005
On the Owings Mills property, Villa Julie opens the first of three planned suite-style residence buildings.
2005

On the Owings Mills property, Villa Julie opens the first of three planned suite-style residence buildings.

On the Owings Mills property, Villa Julie opens the first of three planned suite-style residence buildings that accommodate between three and four students in a mixture of single and double bedrooms. The College names the residence buildings and community center after historical sites in Baltimore County, such as the Avalon Inn, and various valleys, including Cromwell Valley and Worthington Valley.

2006
The College opens Rockland Center (a dining and student center) and the Caves Sports and Wellness Center on the Owings Mills Campus in the fall.
2006

The College opens Rockland Center (a dining and student center) and the Caves Sports and Wellness Center on the Owings Mills Campus in the fall.

Renovations to the Exchange create new space for the music program. The expanded Nursing Skills Lab offers a new home for SimMan, a life-like manikin designed to develop the clinical skills of nursing students.

2007
Villa Julie marks its 60th anniversary with the first Founder's Day Celebration on Oct. 1. The first complete history of the College, A Vision and a Promise: Villa Julie College, is published. Construction begins on the School of Business.
2008
On June 11, the Board of Trustees voted to change the name of Villa Julie College to Stevenson University.
2008

On June 11, the Board of Trustees voted to change the name of Villa Julie College to Stevenson University.

The opening of the School of Business and Leadership marks a solid dedication to business, leadership, and entrepreneurial programs at Stevenson University.

2009
On March 24, President Kevin J. Manning, Ph.D. approves the University Restructuring Plan, which supports the creation of three new schools within the Villa Julie College Arts and Sciences.
2010
In the fall, the new Owings Mills gymnasium opens, encompassing approximately 60,000 square feet, featuring seating for 1,400, and offering premier athletic and fan amenities.
2010

In the fall, the new Owings Mills gymnasium opens, encompassing approximately 60,000 square feet, featuring seating for 1,400, and offering premier athletic and fan amenities.

2011
The University unveils a new 3,500 seat stadium on its Owings Mills Campus.
2011

The University unveils a new 3,500 seat stadium on its Owings Mills Campus.

Designed to rival any facility found in Division III athletics, the stadium accommodates football, lacrosse, and soccer on two synthetic turf fields and provides a host of features for athletes, patrons, the press, and fans. Stevenson's first football team and marching band debut in the fall, and the first women's ice hockey coach is hired.

2013
Stevenson's New School of Design opens on the Owings Mills North Campus.
2013

Stevenson's New School of Design opens on the Owings Mills North Campus.


 
Contact Us
Alumni Relations
Greenspring Campus
Knott Hall
Jamie Myers
Director, Alumni Relations
(443) 334-2625
Email Jamie Myers