Taking fashion from the runway to retail.
Stevenson University's Bachelor of Science in Fashion Merchandising is the first upper-level program of its kind in Maryland that prepares you for careers in marketing and merchandising for the apparel and retail industries.
Bachelor of Science
The Fashion Merchandising program is a formal collaboration between Stevenson's Business Administration and Fashion Design departments, combining classes from marketing, management, art, and fashion disciplines to give you a foundation in fashion marketing and retail operations. The focus is on the business and marketing aspects of merchandising, particularly how the production, distribution, and promotion of goods and services in fashion and retail are developed and delivered to the consumers. The program also addresses the international emphasis of the industry and its global framework of manufacturing, distribution, and retail.
What Will You Learn?
- Analyze, develop, construct, and execute effective marketing strategies for a specific fashion or retail operation.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of consumer behavior and choose appropriate professional techniques in the display and sales of fashion and retail goods.
- Identify and interpret style and retail trends as they relate to fashion and retail cycles as well as targeted consumer markets.
- Interpret, assess, and respond to economic and market factors that affect consumer fashion and retail demand.
- Select appropriate solutions utilizing a working knowledge of specific areas of domestic and international marketing, management, and law as they relate to the business operations of fashion and retail merchandising.
- Employ sophisticated personal communication and technology skills to enhance job effectiveness.
A complete listing of learning outcomes for the Fashion Merchandising program can be found in our Academic Catalog.
Why Study Fashion Merchandising?
Graduates of this program can expect to find employment with advertising agencies, design studios, fashion publications, merchandising manufacturers, fashion and retail forecasting firms, and other businesses. Career options for Fashion Merchandising majors include:
- Apparel Product Engineer
- Assistant Buyer
- Boutique Owner
- Fashion Consultant
- Fashion Coordinator
- Fashion Editor
- Imaging or Marketing Assistant
- Merchandise Manager/Analyst/Trainee
- Market or Merchandising Researcher
- Marketing Representative
- Market Research Trainee
- Product Coordinator
- Textile Merchandising Executive
Courses & Requirements
Courses and Requirements
The courses listed below are required for the completion of the bachelor's degree in Fashion Merchandising. Students must also complete the requirements for the Stevenson core curriculum. Specific pre- and co-requisites for each course are listed in the course descriptions.
Some secondary requirements, which are noted by an asterisk (*) in the list below, can also be used to fulfill a core curriculum requirement.
- FMER 223 The Business of Fashion
- FMER 320 Fashion Retailing
- FMER 323 Fashion Product Merchandising
- FMER 360 Visual Merchandising
- FMER 417 Senior Business Internship
- INBUS 325 International Marketing
- MGT 204 Principles of Management
- MGT 313 Operations Management
- MKT 206 Principles of Marketing
- MKT 311 Consumer Behavior
- MKT 336 Integrated Marketing Communication
- ACC 215 Financial Accounting
- ART 110 Fundamentals of Design I
- ART 274 History of Fashion
- FDES 200 Introductions to Textiles
- EC 201 Principles of Economics: Macroeconomics *
- EC 202 Principles of Economics: Microeconomics *
- MGT 210 Business Writing*
- LAW 208 Business Law
- MATH 140 Basic Statistics*
Calendar of Events
- Painting in Circles - An Artist Exhibition
- Thu Oct 30
- Greenspring Campus
- A Closer Look at Nursing
- Sat Nov 01
- Greenspring Campus
- Baltimore Help Portrait
- Thu Nov 06
- Owings Mills North Campus
What Can You Do With This Degree?
Graduates of our Fashion Merchandising program embark on many rewarding career choices, including:
• Product Coordinator
• Marketing Representative
• Apparel Product Engineer
• Fashion Consultant
• Visual Merchandiser
Curious about internships and job placement after you graduate? Visit our Office of Career Services.