Senior Education majors organized and hosted an event for current juniors, “Senior 101,” to provide information to those entering internship in the fall.
Twenty-four juniors participated in round-table discussions led by eleven discussion leaders, organized by major and Professional Development School placement.
Pictured (left to right):
- Kia Dickerson- Middle School Math and Science, Mayfield Woods Middle School
- Hailey Jarrard- Middle School English/Language Arts and Social Studies, Sudbrook Magnet Middle School
- Jessica Steinbacher- Elementary, Chatsworth Elementary
- Kelsey Kinnear- Elementary, Sparks Elementary
- Becca Jenkins- Elementary, Cedarmere Elementary
- Steven Mercer- Early Childhood, New Town Elementary
- Lynsay Maltese- Early Childhood, Mays Chapel Elementary
- Caitie Cyr- Early Childhood, Mechanicsville Elementary
- Sally Dawson- Early Childhood, Carrolltowne Elementary
- Megan Madigan- Elementary, Perry Hall Elementary
- Shae Rounds- Early Childhood, Cedarmere Elementary
Participants discussed duties and tasks during the first week of internship, assuming greater responsibility in the classroom as the internship progresses, assuming all teaching responsibilities for at least a two-week period, as well as establishing relationships with School and University Mentors and school administration, faculty and staff, creating a Professional Development Plan, organizing a service-learning project, and conducting a classroom inquiry self-study. Topics outside of internship included: taking the Praxis II tests, resume writing, interview practice and the interview process, portfolio-at-a-glance, attending job fairs, options in public and private schools, and different types of employment contracts.
“I really loved getting honest feedback from the seniors,” one participant remarked. “They really went above and beyond.”
“This event was helpful, informational, and personal,” another junior commented. “It made our class feel mentored on a whole new level.”
Our appreciation to organizers Becca Jenkins and Megan Madigan, and to all the presenters.