Have a Question?
Garrison Hall South, 130
Student Success Coaching
The Student Success Coaches guide and collaborate with traditional freshmen students during their transition to life at Stevenson University. Coaches use a holistic approach with each student to develop an individualized plan for their academic, professional, and personal success. They educate students about university resources and serve as a compass to help them navigate their first year in college. In addition, coaches provide proactive course planning and advising, as well as registration assistance.
For more information about Student Success Coaching contact the Office of Student Success at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Success Coaching
What Does a Success Coach Do?
- Provide academic advising: Coaches advise students for registration for their freshman year and facilitate a seamless transition into their sophomore year. At this point, students transition to a faculty Academic Advisor within their major who will serve as their Academic Advisor until they graduate.
- Develop a plan for success: Students and their Success Coaches meet regularly to set academic, personal, and professional goals with an emphasis on connecting students to Stevenson University and establishing a solid foundation students can build upon in the years to come.
- Serve as a liaison between students and Stevenson University: Success Coaches refer students to appropriate campus resources, groups, and activities based on their individual needs.
- Offer support: Coaches provide a friendly, supportive environment and address students individual needs and help them to overcome any obstacles preventing their success.
Benefits of Student Success Coaching
- Develops a one-on-one relationship with their students
- Serves as a point person whom students can reach out to when needed
- Assists students with the transition to life in college
- Empowers students to advocate for themselves
- Helps students become engaged with and feel connected to Stevenson University
- Encourages students to step out of their comfort zone and experience everything Stevenson has to offer
- Facilitates individual meetings with students each semester
- Helps students develop a four-year plan to ensure degree completion
- Advises students on registration and course selection
- Provides support for academic concerns, e.g., test taking, note taking, and study skills
- Helps students develop time management skills
- Connects students to resources on campus
- Assist students with creating academic, personal, and professional goals
Meet the Success Coach Team
Academic Advising & Success Coaches
Director, Student Success
- Management of Student Success Coaches and Program
- Student Success/Retention initiatives and programming
- Success Coach: School of Humanities and Social Sciences (HaSS) freshmen
Student Success Coach
Student Success Coach
- Success Coach: Fine School of Sciences (SOS) freshmen
Student Success Coach
Student Success Coach
- Success Coach: Brown School of Business and Leadership (BSOBL) freshmen
- Success Coach: Berman School of Nursing and Health Professions (SNHP) freshmen
Resources for Freshmen
Mustang Round Up - The Success Coach team meets with their respective advisees for an introductory session during a group meeting at Orientation (Mustang Days) to introduce themselves, provide an overview of the Success Coaching program. and assist with course registrations.
Week 1 - Week 2 - Connect with Your Coach: This meeting connects the Success Coaches with their advisees within the first two weeks of school to ensure that their students are adjusting to the college transition, provide valuable information, and address any questions/concerns students may have.
Week 3 - Week 7 - Individual Goal Setting: This meeting focuses on reviewing the Student Goal Worksheet. Students are encouraged to think about their college experience holistically and establish well thought out, specific goals across a range of areas. These areas include academics, campus involvement, residential or commuter life, and personal goals. In addition to establishing goals, students develop a specific plan to achieve these goals.
Week 8 - 11 - Registration and Midterm Advising: This meeting is focused on educating students with regard to reading/understanding their degree audit and reviewing policies and procedures for course registration. Success Coaches meet with their students for registration advising to assist them with creating their upcoming Spring semester schedules and to provide them with authorization to register. At this time, Success Coaches also review mid-term grades with students. For students that have concerning mid-term grades ("C" or lower), Success Coaches reach out through various means and offer individual meetings to review their performance and discuss ways to improve grades.
Week 12 - Week 16 - End of Semester Meeting: Immediately after registration advising, students have the opportunity to complete their final check-in meeting through the week of final exams. This meeting allows students to reflect on their experiences during their first semester at Stevenson including their personal growth and future plans. In addition, students review their spring course schedule with their Coach.
Week 1 – Week 6 – Mustang Action Plan (M.A.P): This meeting presents an opportunity for students to reflect on their experiences in the Fall semester and guide the students toward developing an action plan for the Spring semester. Prior to the beginning of spring semester, the Success Coaches distribute the Mustang Action Plan (M.A.P.) electronically. The M.A.P. is a form designed to encourage freshmen to reflect from a holistic perspective on their semester.
Week 7 – Week 13 – Registration and Midterm Advising: This meeting is focused on reviewing students’ upcoming Fall schedules for their sophomore year and to provide them with authorization to register. At this time, Success Coaches also review mid-term grades with students. For students that have concerning mid-term grades (“C” or lower), Success Coaches reach out to them through various means and offer individual meetings to review their performance and discuss ways to improve their grades.
Week 14 – Week 16 – End of the Year Meeting: Immediately after registration advising, students have the opportunity to complete their final check-in meeting through the week of final exams. This meeting symbolizes graduation from the Success Coaching program, provides an opportunity to reflect on their experiences during their first year at Stevenson University, and discuss their summer plans. In addition, students are informed in person and via email detailed information regarding their new Advisor assignments.
As the University receives AP scores or college transfer credits, Success Coaches reach out to students to make necessary changes to their upcoming Fall schedule. Additionally, Success Coaches are also available during the summer for any concerns that students/parents may have.