Stevenson University admits qualified students regardless of disability and welcomes the full participation of students with disabilities in all aspects of campus life. The Office of Academic Support (OAS) coordinates with various campus partners to ensure equal access to University programs, facilities and services.
Students with disabilities who require accommodations should contact OAS as early as possible prior to the start of their first academic semester, or upon onset of disability, to initiate the intake and eligibility process.
Stevenson students seeking information, forms, and documents from Disability Services should use the SUNow Portal.
To request accommodations required due to a disability, students must complete the following three steps:
1. Complete the Disability Services Accommodation Intake Form. Students can obtain a copy of the intake form on the Disability Services portal page, or by contacting the Director of Disability Services at (443) 352-4920. Students should clearly state what specific accommodations they require on the intake form.
2. Submit documentation of the disability that meets the University’s guidelines. Students must submit documentation that identifies the student’s disability, details the current functional impact of that disability, and explains the need for each recommended accommodation. A copy of the University’s Guidelines for Students Requesting Accommodations is also available for your reference.
3. Schedule an intake meeting with a Disability Services staff member to discuss your accommodation requests and disability-related needs. After submitting your intake form and documentation to OAS, you should contact the Director of Disability Services to schedule a meeting to discuss what accommodations and services may be available to meet your needs at Stevenson.
After your intake meeting, you will receive a written response to your accommodation request from the Director of Disability Services. Upon approval for accommodations, students must initiate a request to use their approved accommodations at the beginning of each academic semester. Students must follow the policies and procedures identified for utilizing each accommodation they are approved for.
OAS approves reasonable accommodations on an individualized, case-by-case basis, depending on the student’s needs and the recommendations contained in the disability documentation. These services may include, but are not limited to:
· Extended time on quizzes, tests, and exams
· Note taking assistance
· The use of a computer, calculator and/or assistive technology in class and/or on exams
· Assistance registering for classes
· Preferential class seating
· Sign language interpreters or CART services
· Access to text-to-speech reader software, such as Kurzweil 3000
· Referrals to other resources on and off-campus such as counseling services, rehabilitation services and tutoring through Academic Link.
Please note that once approved, some accommodations may take several weeks to arrange. Students with disabilities are encouraged to reach out to OAS as early as possible upon deciding to attend Stevenson University.
Have a Question?
Office of Academic Support
Caves Sports and Wellness Center, Room 250
Owings Mills Campus