Facts At A Glance
A University On The Move
Stevenson University is the third-largest independent university in the state of Maryland with more than 4,100 students pursuing bachelor’s, master’s, and adult undergraduate degrees at two campus locations in Stevenson and Owings Mills. Stevenson has seven Schools: the Howard S. Brown School of Business and Leadership, the School of Design, the School of Education, the Sandra R. Berman School of Nursing and Health Professions, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, the Beverly K. Fine School of the Sciences, and the School of Graduate and Professional Studies.
The University imbues its emphasis on career throughout the educational experience, from coursework to experiential learning. In addition to providing students with a quality liberal arts education, the University also stays true to its tagline, "Imagine Your Future. Design Your Career." Stevenson graduates gain the knowledge and skills that they can apply to not just their first job or graduate course but also carry with them throughout their lives. This promise is made explicit through the Career ArchitectureSM model, which carefully mentors students through a process of learning who they are within a framework of theory, practice, and mentoring. Stevenson has historically high job and graduate school placement rates for its students, helping them find success by starting their careers or by entering graduate school for continuing their education. In 2013, the Maryland Career Development Association (MCDA) recognized the impact of the Career Architecture process by awarding Stevenson with its annual MCDA Organizational Career Planning Award. This award recognizes an institution that has developed an excellent program for career development within the organization.
Introducing: SU Freshman Class of 2016
|Ranked in the top 50% of HS class||80%|
|Full-time freshmen living on campus||84%|
|States represented||22 (as well as D.C.)|
The reputation of Stevenson continues to grow—our traditional and adult students come from 38 states (including Maryland) and 7 countries. Here is a profile:
Traditional & Adult Students
|Pursuing a bachelor's degree||76%|
|Pursuing a master's degree||12%|
|Pursuing an adult undergraduate degree||12%|
|Full-time students living on campus||45%|
|Average first-to-second year retention rate||75.4%|
Our Faculty & Staff
|Number with terminal degrees (full-time)||77%|
Our University Model
Stevenson University has developed a comprehensive university model that encompasses seven schools: the Brown School of Business and Leadership, the School of Design, the School of Education, The School of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Health Professions, the School of the Sciences, and the School of Graduate and Professional Studies.
Bachelor's Degree Programs
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
School of Graduate and Professional Studies
With courses offered in the classroom and online, the School of Graduate and Professional Studies provides flexibility and convenience for adult students seeking to advance their careers by completing a bachelor’s or master’s degree.
Adult Undergraduate Degree Programs
- Business Administration (online)
- Business Communication (online)
- Business Information Systems (hybrid)
- Computer Information Systems (hybrid)
- Criminal Justice (online)
- Interdisciplinary Studies (online or hybrid)
- Legal Studies (hybrid)
- Nursing: RN to BS (online)
- Nursing: RN to MS (online)
Master's Degree Programs
- Business and Technology Management (online)
- Communication Studies (online)
- Cyber Forensics (online)
- Forensic Science (hybrid)
- Forensic Studies (online)
- Healthcare Management (online)
- Master of Arts in Teaching: Math and Science with a STEM focus (online)
- Nursing (online)
Stevenson University has two beautiful campuses located in suburban Baltimore in Stevenson and Owings Mills, Md. Students, faculty, staff, and visitors have the best of both worlds—the history and beauty of a rural campus (the Greenspring campus) and the convenience and liveliness of a more urban location (the Owings Mills campus). Classes are held on both campuses and the University provides a free shuttle service that runs between locations throughout the day and into the evening.
Stevenson’s founding campus, the Greenspring campus, is in the scenic Greenspring Valley. Although surrounded by horse farms and estate homes, the 60-acre wooded campus is just 12 miles from downtown Baltimore. Home to the University’s administration, library, University Archives, art galleries, the Menning Meditation Center and Labyrinth, and the 330-seat Inscape Theatre, the Greenspring campus is one of the academic hubs of the University community.
Located just six miles (and about 12 minutes) from the Greenspring campus, the Owings Mills campus has 13 residential buildings; classrooms and study lounges; the 10,000-squarefoot Ratcliffe Community Center; Caves Sports and Wellness Center; Owings Mills Gymnasium; Mustang Stadium; the School of Graduate and Professional Studies; and the Howard S. Brown School of Business and Leadership. The Owings Mills campus also includes the Rockland Center, which offers a variety of dining options as well as event and meeting areas for gatherings of student organizations. The Brown School of Business and Leadership houses a library.
Adjacent to the main Owings Mills campus is Owings Mills North, home to the Sandra R. Berman School of Nursing and Health Professions, the Beverly K. Fine School of the Sciences, and the School of Design. This part of campus includes the Kevin J. Manning Academic Center, which at 200,000 square feet is the University’s largest academic space. Inside the center are the Learning Commons, an innovative library area open to all students and faculty, and the University’s fourth art gallery.
Visit Maps and Directions
Involvement in student life is an important part of the college experience. At Stevenson, we believe that this helps a student to grow socially, to build friendships, to appreciate diversity, to develop management skills, and to benefit from leadership roles. Special events, social and club activities, meetings, and other events are scheduled for afternoons, evenings, and weekends.
All students, full-time and part-time, are encouraged to participate in extracurricular activities and other events. Stevenson students have the opportunity to join one or more of the University’s more than 50 student clubs and organizations. Membership in campus organizations helps students meet people, learn new skills, broaden their knowledge, and network with others in their major. The University also has 27 Division III athletic teams and several intramurals and club sports teams.
Stevenson University is accredited by the following organizations:
- American Bar Association (Legal Studies Program is an ABA-approved paralegal education program)
- Commission on Higher Education, Middle States Association of Colleges and Universities
- Council for Standards in Human Service Education (Human Services Program)
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (Nursing Program)
- Maryland State Department of Education (Early Childhood Education: Liberal Arts and Technology; Elementary Education: Liberal Arts and Technology; Middle School Education: Liberal Arts and Technology)
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (Medical Laboratory Science Program)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (Teacher Education Programs)
*All degree programs are approved for the education of veterans by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Careers: Based on a recent survey by the University, 93 percent of respondents from both traditional undergraduate and graduate and professional programs reported they were employed, attending graduate school, or both within six months of graduation.
- Outreach: Stevenson's Baltimore Speakers Series has brought more than 50 acclaimed world cultural, political, and intellectual leaders to Maryland since 2006.
- Support: Stevenson received nearly $2 million in grants, gifts, and awards in 2012-2013 to support key priorities of the University.
- Scholarship: Since 2010, Stevenson faculty members have produced 126 creative, scholarly, and other works.
- Nursing: Our Nursing graduates have consistently performed well on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) with scores that are significantly higher than the rate required by the Maryland State Board of Nursing.
Last updated: January 2017