Facts At A Glance
A University On The Move
As Maryland's third-largest independent university, Stevenson serves more than 4,400 students pursuing bachelor's, master's, and adult undergraduate degrees in the classroom and online. Founded in 1947 as Villa Julie College, the University is committed to providing a career-focused education and to offering programs that ensure our students' success in an increasingly dynamic job market.
The University imbues its emphasis on career throughout the educational experience, from coursework to experiential learning. In addition to providing students with a quality liberal arts education, the University also stays true to its tagline, "Imagine Your Future. Design Your Career." Stevenson graduates gain the knowledge and skills that they can apply to not just their first job or graduate course but also carry with them throughout their lives. This promise is made explicit through the Career ArchitectureSM model, which carefully mentors students through a process of learning who they are within a framework of theory, practice, and mentoring. Stevenson has historically high job and graduate school placement rates for its students, helping them find success by starting their careers or by entering graduate school for continuing their education. In 2013, the Maryland Career Development Association (MCDA) recognized the impact of the Career Architecture process by awarding Stevenson with its annual MCDA Organizational Career Planning Award. This award recognizes an institution that has developed an excellent program for career development within the organization.
Traditional & Adult Students
|Pursuing a bachelor's degree||77%|
|Pursuing a master's degree||12%|
|Pursuing an adult undergraduate degree||11%|
|Full-time students living on campus||58%|
|Four-year average retention rate||75%|
Our Faculty & Staff
|Number with terminal degrees (full-time)||74%|
Introducing: SU Freshman Class of 2015
|Ranked in the top 50% of HS class||81%|
|Full-time freshmen living on campus||82%|
|States represented||22 (as well as D.C.)|
Our University Model
Stevenson University has developed a comprehensive university model that encompasses six schools: the Brown School of Business and Leadership, the School of Design, the School of Education, The School of Humanities and Social Sciences, the School of the Sciences, and the School of Graduate and Professional Studies.
Bachelor's Degree Programs
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
School of Graduate and Professional Studies
With courses offered in the classroom and online, the School of Graduate and Professional Studies provides flexibility and convenience for adult students seeking to advance their careers by completing an adult undergraduate or master's degree.
Adult Undergraduate Degree Programs
The following programs are offered in both traditional and accelerated formats:
- Business Administration
- Business Communication
- Business Information Systems
- Computer Information Systems
- Criminal Justice (online)
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Nursing: RN to BS (onsite and online)
- Nursing: RN to MS (onsite and online)
- Paralegal Studies
Master's Degree Programs
- Business and Technology Management (onsite and online)
- Communication Studies
- Cyber Forensics
- Forensic Science (onsite)
- Forensic Studies (offering six tracks and an online option)
- Healthcare Management
- M.A.T. in Secondary Biology, Chemistry, or Mathematics with a targeted STEM focus
- Nursing (online with concentrations in Nursing Education and Nursing Leadership/Management)
Two Distinctive Campuses
The University's original campus, the 60-acre wooded Greenspring Campus in Stevenson, Md., is surrounded by horse farms and estate homes yet is just 12 miles from downtown Baltimore. Home to Stevenson's modern science laboratories, video and art studios, art gallery, 350-seat theatre, meditation center, and the University Archives, the Greenspring Campus is an academic and cultural hub of the University community.
The ever-evolving Owings Mills Campus offers 13 residence halls, both suite- and apartment-style; a student community center; a contemporary dining complex; the Brown School of Business and Leadership; the Francis X. Pugh Mock Trial Courtroom; and the Office of Career Services. The Owings Mills Campus also includes the Caves Sports and Wellness Center, which features a 60,000-square-foot gymnasium, and the University's 3,500-seat Mustang Stadium, where all field sports are played. Adjacent to the Owings Mills Campus is the University's new Owings Mills North campus. The School of Design opened at the Owings Mills North Campus in time for the fall 2013 semester. Plans are underway to open the School of the Sciences on this campus in 2015.
Stevenson students have the opportunity to join one or more of the University's nearly 40 student clubs and organizations that range from academic interest to social activities. Membership in campus organizations helps students meet people, learn new skills, and network with professionals in their major. The University also has 27 Division III athletic teams. It also offers several intramurals and club sports teams for students to participate in, believing in the value of participating in organized sports to promote leadership, teamwork, and discipline.
- Careers: Based on a recent survey by the University, 91 percent of respondents from both traditional undergraduate and graduate and professional programs reported they were employed, attending graduate school, or both within six months of graduation.
- Outreach: Stevenson's Baltimore Speakers Series has brought more than 50 acclaimed world cultural, political, and intellectual leaders to Maryland since 2006.
- Support: Stevenson received nearly $2 million in grants, gifts, and awards in 2012-2013 to support key priorities of the University.
- Scholarship: Since 2010, Stevenson faculty members have produced 126 creative, scholarly, and other works.
- Nursing: During the past three years, our graduates have consistently performed well on the National Council Licensure Examination-RN with an average of 89.71 percent passing on the first attempt.
Stevenson University is accredited by the following organizations:
- American Bar Association (Paralegal Program)
- Commission on Higher Education, Middle States Association of Colleges and Universities
- Council for Standards in Human Service Education (Human Services Program)
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (Nursing Program)
- Maryland State Department of Education (Early Childhood Education: Liberal Arts and Technology; Elementary Education: Liberal Arts and Technology; Middle School Education: Liberal Arts and Technology)
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (Medical Laboratory Science Program)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (Teacher Education Programs)
- All degree programs are approved for the education of veterans by the Department of Veterans Affairs
Last updated: November 2014
Have a Question?
Owings Mills Campus
Garrison Hall, Second Floor